• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is the dif. between 5400 and 7200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
its the rate at which the platter(i think) spins. the faster the speed, the faster the seek time, and the faster your computer.

Faster spin = Less time for head to reach appropriate sector
Faster spin = Higher theoretical throughput on contigus sectors
Faster spin = More noise (but only a few dB :D)

My 80GB WD SE is quiet... Just a hum from the drive that's only audible if the CPU fan is off :eek: :D
JigPu

The best explanation I've heard on this is that comparing a 5400 drive to a 7200 drive is like comparing a 4-cylinder engine to a 6-cylinder engine. The bigger engine can get you there faster, but there's not much difference between the two if you're only travelling 10 feet. The 7200 is obviously faster but you'll only see a significant difference when transferring large amounts of data. Of course everyone's definition of significant could be different. :)

Decius said:
actually he asked the difference between 5400 and 7200, not 7200 and 5400. Therefore 5400 - 7200 = -1800

the Difference between two numbers is the modulus:

so, where A and B are the numbers in question,

Difference = | A - B |

so positive.

Back to his question. :D

If you are looking to buy a drive I'd go with a 7200rpm.

Ben721 said:
Back to his question. :D

Of course. ;)

If there was a choice, go for the faster one. If the disk spins faster, then it takes less time for the sector on the disk surface to arrive at the head, where it can be read/written to.

That's why SCSI drives are so good, some of them do 15,000 rpm. Compare that to a floppy disk :p

Faster disks tend to use more electrical power, though admittedly not much more.

Although I hear 5400 is decent for storage like if you buy a 200gb drive.

Cjwinnit said:

the Difference between two numbers is the modulus:

so, where A and B are the numbers in question,

Difference = | A - B |

so positive.

Picky picky...I thought modulus was the remainder? That's the absolute value of the difference.

Back