• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the difference between Redhat, Mandrake and SuSe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Luie

Linux total newbie here...:eek:

What is the difference between Redhat, Mandrake and SuSe?
What are they better at? (eg I think Mandrake is good for hosting php websites, etc, stuff?)

Which is the best in your opinion? (any other linux distribution you think is better then the 3 I mentioned above?)

Titan386

IMO, those distros you've listed are quite similar. Red Hat, Mandrake, and Suse are all geared for someone relitively new to Linux, and they tend to hide the lower level stuff. In some more 'advanced' distros, like Slackware, Debian, or Gentoo, you'll often find yourself editing text files to change system settings, while you'll encounter the (arguably) easier GUIs in Red Hat, Mandrake, or Suse.

There really aren't many fundamental differences between them, and I don't think you can say that one is better than the others at a particular task. After all, the underlying software is mostly the same. You can't really claim that Mandrake is best at hosting websites, when Apache, PHP, and MySQL will run on any distro.

Finally, there is no best Linux distro. Some tend to appeal to different audiences, but from the ones you've listed, they all target the same user group: the newbs :)

I suggest you try them all and see which one you prefer. I can't tell you what the best distro is, simply because I have no idea what you'll like or dislike.

There is one notable difference: Red Hat and Mandrake both distribute ISOs for free download, while Suse does not. If you wish to use Suse, you can either download a floppy that does an FTP install, or buy the CDs.

Have fun learning Linux :)

OP
L

Luie

Thanks very much. I'll try them all. =)

"You can't really claim that Mandrake is best at hosting websites, when Apache, PHP, and MySQL will run on any distro."
opps. My bad. It's just that most ppl I see who host their own website, etc uses Mandrake. =P
Nevermind. =P

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
I personally consider that the best Linux for my needs is SuSE 8.2 as this appears more together than Mandrake which just appears to throw as many cutting edge software releases as it can at each new distro.. the standard installation of Mandrake just gives me so much rubbish such as numerous text editors, while SuSE does not, the overall finish and effort which has gone into SuSE is clearly viewable and much appriciated by someone such as myself who is attempting to learn Linux, My time is now spent learning rather than having to wade through numerous applications which do the same thing trying to decide which one to use. I still have the option to install what software I wish with YOU, YaST, Apt-Get.. But I get to decide.
RedHat just annoys me with the BlueCurve theme

PS.. The SuSE FTP intsall is easy if you have broadband and well worth doing, the support from SuSE and the users themselves is also great

OP
L

Luie

Thanks for your input.
I'll give SuSE a try as well.
I am now in the process of downloading RedHat. (I'll try that first.) ^_^

I read some reviews about the rh and most of them says it's pretty good. I'm excited. =P

^_^

UnseenMenace

UnseenModerator
Redhat is OK imho but the desktop theme (Bluecurve) associated with it has gathered mixed responces from the open source and free software community.. In fact a few developers even resigned from RedHat over the issue.

Basically what they have attempted to do, is unify the two most popular desktops (Gnome and KDE) and make them look and feel the same, which makes sence from a support point of view.. however RedHat generally promote the Gnome desktop and the modifications required to the KDE desktop to make it look and feel the same as the Gnome desktop have produced claims from KDE supporters that Redhat have effectively crippled some of the features..

Some people such as myself dislike the Bluecurve theme and appricate the differences and choice between KDE and Gnome... but its your choice not mine.. thats what is great about Linux.