• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the fastest socket 7 CPU can be without Overclocking? with??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ivo

I have a socket 7 mobo and need to get a faster cpu what is the fastest then can run on a socket 7? I know it's a little outdated but it's a project. :D :cool:

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Supper 7 has 100FSB options...
some even have 133FSB...

but if you have a plain jane socket 7, 66, 75 and 83MHz FSB, you can always drop a AMD K6-2 or K6-III into the board.
The 2x multiplier acts as 6x so,400(6x66),450(6x75), and if you PCI bus cab take it, 500MHz(6x83)

What is the lowest Vcore that the board can take? As that is going to be your biggest problem. The K6-2/III CPUs are 2.2V CPU's (some were 2.4V)....
I have nevre run one at 2.8V, but i have had no problems running them at 2.6V....
SO hopefully you can lower you Vcore past 2.8V.... But that should still work with good cooling

OP
Ivo

Ivo

Thanks, now do you know where i can get a cpu? for cheap?

David

Forums Super Moderator
You can probably get a K6-2 or K6-3 pretty cheap second hand. K6-3s were better, but not so common.

David

JimmyG

Check eBay. Also, you can use Google to search. Maybe someone has some for sale still...!!???

JaY_III

Senior of BX
Tbird man said:
most regular socket 7 boards can only take up to 233 i believe, anything faster will require a super7, which can go up to 550mhz.

nope K6-2's work in socket 7 boards just fine
the 2x mutliplier acts as a 6x...

and socket 7 is the same thing as supper 7, the only difference is (supper 7 being newwer) that supper 7 MUST have support for 100FSB and lower Vcore's for the K6-2 CPU's

repo man11

The best socket 7 CPU is the K6-3+ 550. The K6-2+ is the same, except it only has half the on die L-2 cache. Both of these were made for laptops, but they will run in motherboards that have the proper v-core voltage settings, and BIOS support. They are made with a .18 micron die, and have numerous other enhancements over the standard K6-2/K6-3.
K6-3+ CPU's are outrageously priced, so you can forget those, unless you get lucky.
This guy has been selling K6-2+ 550's on ebay:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2073598241&category=15921
The new ID gives me pause though. But he has been selling enough of them to bring the price down to something reasonable.
You can check your motherboards compatibility here:http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm
If yours isn't listed, it may still work, check the manufacturers site for K6-2+ compatibility. Most of the super 7 boards included them in their last BIOS update.
I think the main qualities that define a super 7 board are; the ability to run SDRAM, an AGP slot, and 100 MHz FSB.
And take a look at this sticky as well:http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112907

Last edited:

JaY_III

Senior of BX
I dont know if AGP is a req of a Supper 7 board as i have an Epox without AGP.... but i think you are right on the SDRAM.

OP
Ivo

Ivo

I'm getting a new motherboard (socket 7) it says it can handle up to 550 mhz and I'm getting an AMD 450 Mhz with it. Should I even bother overclocking? I really dont want to risk hurting it

GotNoRice

K6-2 chips overclock so crappy, you will be lucky if you get anything more than a 25mhz overclock

repo man11

The standard K6-2 really doesn't overclock well. the K6-2+ overclocks better, but even then 100 MHz is pretty much it.

OP
Ivo

Ivo

It really isnt worth it to overclock this one, Its running like a dream for the speed it is.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
my K6-2 450 did 525 with a .2V increase.....
had a 500 that did 550, dont rember how many volts....

is it worth to overclock? i thought it was.

JDXNC

Just check my sig... I had some decent results, I found if you really want to push a K6-2 you need to uncap it, then it can be cooled much better. There were actually a very FEW K6-2 600's made, but they are almost impossible to find and you could prolly get lucky and hit 600 with a 500 or 550. My 550 hits 600 with no voltage increase.

FishNiX

Chicago (originally a Connecticut Resident)
yeah, i had an uncapped k6-III 400 that did 500 and a k6-2 350 that did 472 :) Actually, I just setup a duron for my younger brother and stole his Assu P5A and AMD K6-2 350... not sure what to do with it, but it definately brings me back...

actually, i managed to sell MY P5A + K6-III combo with a globalwin FOP32 (i think) for something along the lines of $150 around the release of the Athlon 1000 (socket a)

i think the overclock is worth it, and most likely, that little proc will do some good things with today's coolers

my understanding of Super Socket 7 was that it supported fsb's of 100mhz(and sometimes more), agp was usually included, but not necessary.