• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the key to hold down to reset bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pntgrd

I cannot for the life of me remember what it is. I got my 2.4b C1 and I will probably need to know what it is tonite ;).

On my abit ic7-max3 holding down the "insert" key while booting allowed restored defaults. Thus, if I tweaked the ram up too high, holding "insert" while pressing the reset button brought me back to the bios screen at default settings.

That's it. I could not remember what it was. I had hooked up a toggle switch to clear cmos before to do this, until I ran across the <insert> key trick. It has just been so long since I messed with a new cpu, I couldn't remember what it was. Old age must be creeping in.

um hello , me too , so I guess this tells everyone that there is no stupid questions , just people , like me , and Donny , oh yeah and Pntgrd too

A BIG thank you!!!

First of all, this is my first ever reply and the main thing is thanking all of you and this forum.

2ndly, let me explain what happened.
I recently bought a "used" Abit IC-7G with a 3.2 Ghz Intel CPU with Heatsink Fan assembly for under $15. I put quotes on used because everything about the board, cpu, fan and heatsink seems like it was new... hardly any dust on it. I have bought and owned more than 8 pcs, both new and used, since 1990 and believe me this combo could sell new if it were in a box. But I digress because I am :D excited.
So I put everything together with a SATA hard drive but alas, the SATA drive is not being recognized properly and there was nowhere in the CMOS that allowed me to make the change... what to do? Of course, I downloaded the latest bios and ran it but the floppy drive on my Dell Precision somehow messed up the file and i ended up with a "black screen" after flashing the bios on the IC7-G. :fight: I was pulling my hair out because this MOBO seems to be delicate in the first place and I thought I just threw away $15... that's where you guys came in with this 7 year old thread AND... now I will have a more than serviceable and upgradable PC (windows 7).

Back