• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the maximum recommended voltage for a P4 2.4b ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolfX1X

Registered
the general concensus is anything over 1.7 and your throwing your chip to the whims of the Overclocking Gods

I had an older [email protected] 1.8v for over 6 months and saw no ill effect but reading about all the cases of SNDS I'm playing it cautious with this 2.4b

I know for a fact that 1.8v would put me at 3ghz or better but I'm going to err slightly past the side of caution running [email protected] 1.725v

of course it's a moot point since my corsair 2700 maxes out at 394 so if I want any kind of memory performance I need to run 2.66 which she does quite happily at 1.5v

batboy

Senior Moment
Seems like when you go over 1.7v to 1.75v, you start dramatically increasing your odds of trouble. Those with exceptional cooling might get away with "slightly" higher Vcore, but I've even heard of water cooled Northwoods with high voltage dying after only a few months. Anything below 1.7v with good cooling should be fine.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
what ever happended to the 10% rule...
its generally safe to up the voltage by 10%
15% if you have good cooling and are willing to accept the risk of damage
20%+ the risk starts to get very large (not to mention the benifit of raising the voltage rapidy decresses)

batboy

Senior Moment
Good point, Jay. I remember that same 10-15% rule of thumb back in the old days when I was overclocking my Celeron 300a. Looks like 1.65v with a Northwood B0 stepping is about 10% and 1.725v is about 15%. Coincidence? I think not.

lightbulb8817

batboy said:
Good point, Jay. I remember that same 10-15% rule of thumb back in the old days when I was overclocking my Celeron 300a. Looks like 1.65v with a Northwood B0 stepping is about 10% and 1.725v is about 15%. Coincidence? I think not.

Interesting...

Anyways, I've always heard that Intel says not to go over 1.75. I wouldn't take it over 1.7 ACTUAL vcore. Be careful, when you set your vcore at 1.7, the actual vcore can either be much/little higher or lower. When I set my vcore to 1.7 on my P4S533, I get like 1.81 actual vcore.