• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the most powerful 120mm fan for < $10.00 each?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem2

Trying to revamp my cooling for my case. I need 120mm fan. LED is a here nor there, if it has to be there, red/blue/green is about all I really care to see.

OP
killem2

killem2

Nice, thanks for the updates. What are your opinions on filters? And that jet engine looking coolers is awesome, but I must ask, how hard is it to clean out?

only.one.ryder

Registered
40+ db start to get loud if you go with more then one.

and for under 10$ i do think the R4 from coolmaster are some of the best DP to CFM ratio.

GREEN:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103062&cm_re=R4-_-35-103-062-_-Product

RED:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103063&cm_re=R4-_-35-103-063-_-Product

BLUE:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103060&cm_re=R4-_-35-103-060-_-Product

EDIT:

Also, iv read some other post/fourms on the r4's and they say its miss labeled. its really (IDK #'S anymore) but i wanna say its around 2300-2500 RPM and 23 DB.

I LOVE THESE, as i went from 8 Yate Loon High Speed 120mm Fan (40dBa, 88CFM) (looks at my sig and sees it needs a update) to 8 of the green R4's and it just blows the yate loons away (still love for them tho, they lasted me a good 2-3 years)

Last edited:

jcw122

I highly recommend you change your target price to <$6. Don't let stupid resellers dupe you with their highly inflated prices.

Hey Zeus

I used to have 100cfm fans in an old rig and it drove me crazy. Good luck with the wife with those. :)

OP
killem2

killem2

I was looking over the reviews of the kaze, and I knew they were loud but people are saying stuff like heard it from outside my house, sounds like a vacuum, sounds like a hair dryer.

Is this really accurate? From a case fan?

MIAHALLEN

YES! THose are very loud...my buddy picked up one, on his open test bench we had to raise our voices to talk...kinda like being on an airplane ;)
I have a 250CFM Delta that about the same noise...but twice as much airflow :D

Marlin P Jones has these 120 X 25 mm Delta fans for $4.95 each. They are rated at 86 cfm and 37.6 dB noise. They are pulls from new equipment from what they say in the listing.

These would be a much better choice :)

Moto7451

Senior Something
Thats why I mentioned a fan controller. Seriously, my Deltas have those lovely fluid bearings so at 1/2 power or less they're much quieter (and push more air) than cheapy 60-80CFM fans. The bearings make a huge difference haha. In the case of the jet engine cooler, Fans seem to always run better at 1/2-3/4 rated specs. Usually you loose all the motor noise. If you feel adventurous, get it and a fan controller.

CualvezAsteria

For a more normal speed/noise fan, I highly recommend the ZM-F3. I've seen it $7-$10 at places. It has incredible and imo the best noise/airflow ratio (I've owned GentleTyphoons, San Ace H101, Panaflo, and S-Flex). Petra's has it for $7 right now.

muddocktor

Retired
The only problem with the ZM-F3 is finding them though. When places have them in stock they seem to sell out quickly. But like you said, it's a good fan. So if you see them in stock and want them, you better order fast.

muddocktor

Retired
For a good sound to output ratio the Slipstream fans are really good. 110CFM @ 37 dBA.

http://jab-tech.com/home.php?cat=81&sort=price&sort_direction=0

Jab-tech seems to always have good prices on fans.

I had to edit your post, man. The dumb forum software saw where you had typed the "110CFM @ 37 dBA" without the spaces left in and made it an email address link.:sly::comp:

I've found that the Scythe Slipstream fans to have greatly inflated cfm numbers myself. And the other Scythe fans I've tested with have had numbers a lot more believable. I think that Scythe just quotes whatever numbers the actual oem of the fan gives them and doesn't actually do the measuring. In the case of the S-Flex and Gentle Typhoon series fans, they are made by another oem than the Slipstreams. I haven't found who the oem of the S-Flex is but the Gentle Typhoons are made by Japan Servo and I have looked at their specs on it, which tally with the specs that Scythe gives too.