• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the next needed upgrade for video editing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vibatrex

Registered
Currently landed a side gig editing for a YouTuber, but I've noticed the PC is bogging down while moving clips and takes half the video length to export to mp4. I'm currently using Shotcut to edit, as it is free, though it was quicker before. The footage isn't in 4k, but soon moving there.

Also, as not to make two separate posts, what kind of monitor details should I look into for 4k?

Thanks

Are you using the SSD or the NVMe? Can you monitor GPU and CPU use during export to see which is more limiting? I'm not really familiar with this use case, but maybe the Shotcut FAQ can point you in the right direction.

https://www.shotcut.org/FAQ/#what-are-the-minimum-system-requirements (of note they list 8c CPU for 4k, of course they also list 2GHz as the minimum clock speed, so the 3600 might make up for a bit of that with speed)
https://www.shotcut.org/FAQ/#how-does-shotcut-use-the-gpu-or-not
https://www.shotcut.org/FAQ/#how-does-shotcut-use-multiple-cpu-cores-and-threads
https://www.shotcut.org/FAQ/#why-does-shotcut-not-use-hardware-accelerated-video-decoding

You have an excellent board for some serious hardware. Obviously a faster cpu would help. Memories good but your storage is definitely lacking.
The 2 pci-e 4 nvme slots are not being utilized with the sn550, a gen3 drive.
Phison is the defacto leader in the pci-e 4 controller for the newer pci-e 4x4 nvme's.
Aurus, gigabyte, adata, all have nvme's which would saturate those slots.
Better cpu. Better nvme.

Faster drive will help with the timeline, moving stuff. The gpu is still the encoder. Makes one want to run out and buy all new parts and start over lol. It does have (2) PCIe 4.0/3.0 X16 slots = (2) 4x4's. Perfect for a little raid action. If I had that board I'd put 2 evo850 plus's in and raid1 them. Building pc's really is like breeding rabbits.

Last edited:
No it doesn't
AMD Ryzen™ 5000 Series/ 3000 Series Desktop Processors
1 x PCIe 4.0 x16 (x16 mode)
AMD Ryzen™ 4000 G-Series Desktop Processors
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x16 mode)
AMD B550 Chipset
1 x PCIe 3.0 x16 (x4 mode)
1 x PCIe 3.0 x1
* Support PCIe bifurcation for RAID on CPU function.
Total supports 2 x M.2 slot(s) and 4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports
AMD Ryzen™ 5000 Series/ 3000 Series Desktop Processors :
1 x M.2_1 socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIE 4.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support
AMD Ryzen™ 4000 G-Series Desktop Processors :
1 x M.2_1 socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280 (PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support
AMD B550 Chipset :
1 x M.2_2 socket 3, with M Key, Type 2242/2260/2280/22110(PCIE 3.0 x4 and SATA modes) storage devices support
4 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s),
Support Raid 0, 1, 10
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/TUF-GAMING-B550M-PLUS/techspec/

Actually it does. It will support the addon card 'Hyper M.2 X16' going in one the first x16 PCIe slot. The addon card supports x4 PCIe Gen4 ssd's (documentation is sketchy). These are bootable and raidable but it says you can only use intel ssd's for the raid I think. The other slot will then accept a x4 graphics card. Gamers probably won't like that. Still I'd get one just 2 boot to a raid1 using x2 Gen4's.
The mobo's wildly variable configurations are somewhat amusing, plus just looking at the pics of one it's hard to tell what you're looking at. Though it'd be a hell of a lot nicer to have native gen4 raid support without the card. My nas does the same thing basically boot and all.

Last edited:
Actually it does.
Not natively/out of the box which is what he was saying ;). You need to buy a separate card and put a small glass ceiling on your GPU (for gaming) in the process.

Going by your thought process, every PCIe 4.0 board supports an additional 2x+ M.2 sockets (when you buy a not included AIC). :D

Actually it does. It will support the addon card 'Hyper M.2 X16' going in one the first x16 PCIe slot. The addon card supports x4 PCIe Gen4 ssd's (documentation is sketchy). These are bootable and raidable but it says you can only use intel ssd's for the raid I think. The other slot will then accept a x4 graphics card. Gamers probably won't like that. Still I'd get one just 2 boot to a raid1 using x2 Gen4's.
The mobo's wildly variable configurations are somewhat amusing, plus just looking at the pics of one it's hard to tell what you're looking at. Though it'd be a hell of a lot nicer to have native gen4 raid support without the card. My nas does the same thing basically boot and all.

Now you're trying to change things, your initial statement was,
The 2 pci-e 4 nvme slots are not being utilized with the sn550, a gen3 drive
. Which is not correct. You next stated,
It does have (2) PCIe 4.0/3.0 X16 slots = (2) 4x4's
without an explanation of what you mean by a 4x4 (apparently and add in card), however this is also not correct. At this point you're advocating such an edge use case by dropping the GPU to 4x Gen 3 lanes that I really don't feel like this is best for the OP.

Remember were not here to be right or wrong, were here to help the OP get the most out of his money. I would have felt bad to just leave your first statement alone and have him purchase 2x new nVMEs to run in RAID when his motherboard cannot practicably do so.

Back on topic, the main thing I'm not sure of is whether a faster GPU will be of benefit in this software. We know making sure the files are on the nVME will be a big difference, and also that upgrading to a Gen4 nVME can make a difference. And we know a CPU with more cores will make an improvement as well (at least in 4k) Shotcut doesn't use CUDA so he's in good shape with an AMD card, but I'm not sure how heavily it uses the GPU at all (I know that it does leverage it to some extent).

You are going to find that free software isn't always as good, I can run adobe premiere pro on a second gen i3 with a gtx 750TI and have a smoother experience than say davinci resolve on an i9 and 2060. I have a friend who has dumped hundreds of extra dollars to use resolve because it's free, it's just not an efficient software. for $20/mo it saves me more time than what it costs me, as time is money. for a 30 minute 4k video it takes me about 5 minutes to export a video with my sig rig..having the files on an SSD and exporting to an SSD made a HUGE difference, takes him like 30 minutes to export a 2.7k 14 minute video running the i9+2060 and it maxes out his cpu the whole time.

Just having good gpu encoding support in premiere makes a big difference too... my cpu usage chills around 15-20% when rendering while my gpu is at like 85%+. Worth a try, just make sure you don't lock in a year contract like I did if you are just testing.

It supports multiple gen4 nvme's. Not my problem the documentation and actual abilities of that board are skewed. But forcing you to limit one lane to use the other for the gen4's is how they string everyone along. Discounting the addon cards abilities to play games. OK you win. For editing the add-on card is ideal. Prerecorded stuff doesn't require a 3090 gpu. Pretending that just this or that is not part of a build. Everything you do to it is an addon ffs.
sucks to be wrong

Last edited:
It supports multiple gen4 nvme's. Not my problem the documentation and actual abilities of that board are skewed. But forcing you to limit one lane to use the other for the gen4's is how they string everyone along. Discounting the addon cards abilities to play games. OK you win. For editing the add-on card is ideal. Prerecorded stuff doesn't require a 3090 gpu. Pretending that just this or that is not part of a build. Everything you do to it is an addon ffs.
sucks to be wrong
It was never about right or wrong. There isn't a wrong here per say. Just the way it was explained needed some clarification is all. :)

sucks to be wrong

I often get a lot out of being wrong, it usually means I get to learn something. In this case I've only learned how stubborn some people can be. Congratulations on your loophole sir! :clap:

Loophole my ***. They made the mobo to support multiple gen4 nvme's. He asked about video editing. Not what zerilous knows about his board.
Editing, by hand, takes time. By simply utilizing the full capabilities to raid a couple gen4's in conjunction with the onboard slot he would minimize his actual time doing so. Personally I wouldn't even put a gen3 on that board. If he only used 2 of the gen4's in a raid he'd still have an 8x slot for his card.
Congratulations on telling someone he can't or it's not possible in a forum about overclocking and pushing limits. I instinctively knew I was correct. If you can find a manufacturer that sells a board that supports ONLY ONE gen4 nvme, I guarantee you wouldn't be able to sell it to anyone. Especially anyone here.
Loopholes are for your avatar. Go play with yourself.

Loophole my ***. They made the mobo to support multiple gen4 nvme's. He asked about video editing. Not what zerilous knows about his board.
Editing, by hand, takes time. By simply utilizing the full capabilities to raid a couple gen4's in conjunction with the onboard slot he would minimize his actual time doing so. Personally I wouldn't even put a gen3 on that board. If he only used 2 of the gen4's in a raid he'd still have an 8x slot for his card.
Congratulations on telling someone he can't or it's not possible in a forum about overclocking and pushing limits. I instinctively knew I was correct. If you can find a manufacturer that sells a board that supports ONLY ONE gen4 nvme, I guarantee you wouldn't be able to sell it to anyone. Especially anyone here.
Loopholes are for your avatar. Go play with yourself.
Yes. One...out of the box. The other requires the purchase of a separate card. If a user is willing to make the meager sacrifice of dropping to x8 speeds on the gpu, it IS a viable solution. But make no mistake about it your words, until post 8, seemed to infer this was native/integrated on the board hence why we are where we are.

That slot is designed for gpus...just because you can use something else in the slot doesn't mean that's what it was made for. In other words, they made that slot for gpus. Just because it can support something else, doesn't mean it was meant for it. If you ask 100 people with half a clue what the primary x16 pcie slot is for, you'd be about the only person saying it's purpose is to expand pcie 4.0 m.2 sockets with an AIC you have to buy. ;)

Now, move on, and let's be careful with insults...thats not how we roll here. :)

Back