• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is up? I cant seem to access a ton of internet pages lately!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TUK101

For the past couple of weeks it seems like I have been getting an aweful lot of web pages timing out, or just not being available. Does this have something to do with some of the viruses that have been going around, or do I have something messed up with my comp that I am not aware of. I have checked and changed my internet settings and my connection is the same ol crappy connection that it has always been. I live in the country and only get a max of 28800, but 9 out of 10 times I get only 26400. Thanks for your tips and opinions on this, it is really getting annoying.

P.S. The pages are ones that you would think would load too, like Chaintechs download page, some ebay pages etc.

First thing I would do is run a full virus scan and make sure that comes back clean. It's possible your winsock file has become corrupted, as they can create lots of internet connection problems. I'm not sure what OS you're using, but on Win 98 you can restore the file (wsock32.dll) via the Windows CD. If you need more help just post back and I'll give more detailed instructions.

Thanks PCGIRL. I am running windows XP home edition. I have run a full virus scan and that came back clean. One thing that has got me puzzled though is that I have dled the AVG virus scanner and they still havent sent me the code so that I can install it. I have filled out thier information page about 15-20 times requesting the serial # that I need and they still havent emailed it to me. I am using the virus scanner that comes packeted with my Fix-It-Utilities software, with the latest updates and virus info dled. I am experienceing many slowdowns lately as well, and it seems that something is always dling onto my comp. The little recieve light is always going nuts even when just sitting idle with no pages open. I run adaware regularly to fight spyware as well. Hopefully somebody can help me, as I am lost now as to what to do.

Back