• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is wrong with Sony!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gt24

Ok, I caved in and bought a PSP about 2 months ago. Yes, I have the receipt even today. I don't play the device much though, a little bit of Rock Band and I got Dissidia Final Fantasy for Christmas so I'm playing that!

Today, I turn on the device and see this horizontal line at the top of the screen. It likes to be several colors, but one prominent one is bright red. Yep, I guess the screen decided to freak out or something. No, I haven't dropped the device or not, and thus the line is kinda weird.

So, I go over to the Sony site, go for Repair services, go to in warranty repair, they want to know "what is broken" via a selection area and screen is one option, just screen. Ok, answer that, was told my system is no longer covered by the warranty and it is $90 to fix it + tax + shipping.

:mad:

What the!? Why isn't my device covered anymore? Since when is "any screen problem" magically my fault? What is the point of a warranty if they can wave it off at any time? What is the point of repair service when a used PSP slim is $120?

I'll call Sony tomorrow, likely get the same answer, likely have to buy another PSP (and this time, I am getting "accidental coverage" from Best Buy or something, since I know Sony will not care!). I just don't see how something which seems like it is clearly the fault of the device, likely a manufacturing defect, is magically my fault and thus I have to pay to have my device fixed or live with a long red line at the top of my device.

I didn't think getting warranty service would turn into this.

sigh

I called Sony and the call representative swore that all screen issues were covered as long as the system is within warranty and took my information down so I can send my device in. However, once mailed, if I get a call saying they won't send it back unless I pay $90 then I will not be happy with them despite the call representative saying that absolutely won't happen.

I suppose I will see. It will take 15 days to get the box needed to ship the device in (kinda long?) and who knows how long before I get my device back. Fun fun.

I feel your pain. It is one of the reasons that I LOATHE Sony. Back when I had a PS1 and PS2, the laser units failed on those machines 3 times EACH. Sony wanted $100 to repair the PS1 and $150 for the PS2. It took a class action lawsuit and several years for Sony to finally hone up to the issues with their lasers and offer free repairs on the PS2. It was too late for me by that time. I also had a 2 Sony DVDRW laser units fail in this time frame so it is obvious that Sony had a problem. The PS3 thus far has not suffered from those issues *knock on wood*. However, the PS3 aside (which I bought additional warranty on), I will no longer purchase Sony products. To be fair though, I have an OLD Sony surround sound receiver that has been running for like 15 years without a hitch.

Ok, I never got my email confirming information.

So, I called Sony again. This time I got a US person on the other end instead of somebody from India. The reason why I never got my email is because they horribly misspelled my email address and even though I tried to confirm it, they must have not understood me correctly.

Now that all my information is correct I can now start waiting for my box to send my PSP back.

The US rep said that they would be really surprised if they don't warranty repair my device considering it is 70 days old, but the techs will make that call when they get the device. Oh goodie.

before getting off the phone always make sure you get a confirmation number .. and usually when websites give me crap about issues i go through all the options and see if it changes the outcome or i just choose the problem issue as other ... even if i just put in the comment box "i dont know how to explain it properly. there is an issue when its powered on." :D i hate the run around

I was able to get a confirmation number, that was how they found the botched up first request that was put into the system. At least that number was correct.

I always saw Sony as kind of hit or miss quality wise, but this is just scary. It looks like it's heading in the right direction, now just hope the techs don't make up something about it being dropped.

I got a refurbished device! Yay!

However, the screen looks odd. Not much to complain about, but odd.

I found other folks seem to have had this problem with the PSP quite a bit.

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&thread.id=3507552

http://uk.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26789799

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1479426

Mine has the same issue. It has a "border" around the screen where the screen is a tad darker. The effect is almost uniform around the edge except for the left most side where it vanishes for a small section. Sometimes I notice the effect more than other times, depending on what is on the screen.

Ironically enough, the device came and turned on with a light gray background which doesn't show this effect at all. When I went to choose a color to make it blue, then it was noticeable. I wonder if the Sony folks test these screens with colors or not... because if they use the standard gray screen then they might have never seen this problem.

I can live with this defect compared to the bright pink, green, or whatever it wanted to be line across the whole screen. However, I was thinking if I should send the device in except for the fact that this device was sent to me as "working" and apparently a lot of PSPs are this way. So, considering that, I think I will keep it. What would you do though?

Oh, and they sent me a slip cover for the PSP with the PSP logo on it that was packaged with this PSP. I have no idea why it was, but it is there, and it is kinda nifty.

When you choose the "screen option" on the support site, I bet the majority of issues is with people dropping the system hence, they quote a price on what it will take to repair / replace. Once they get the unit in their possession, they will see that there are no dings / scratches that would suggest a drop and realize that it IS a warranty repair.

If I have to have support on a item, I will usually call so that I can thoroughly explain everything in regards to the problem. I will say my 360 got the RRoD after two and a half years of running fine, and I performed all "paperwork" online and surprisingly, it was a smooth process.

Back