• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is your oldest piece of equipment active on your main computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Win3.1 on a 700mhz cpu! :rolleyes:

Even an old 486DX ran Windows 95 ok. Probably even Win98 :attn:

lol i am not sure on the cpu speed but i know it's an intel that runs win 3.11 and it's been so long since i started it up but it still runs and runs games on dos still lol

An optical mouse with two scroll wheels, and a crap ton of buttons (2 thumb, 2 pinky, left/middle/right secondary scroll wheel button, and scroll wheel left and right tilt) that i bought from some crazy russian guys for $25 at a computer show in '98 (the logitech optical mice with 2 buttons and 1 wheel were selling for $80).
Some buttons stick a little but it still works.

The weapon grade IBM M keyboard with led modded. :D
Oooooo,, IBM keyboards are sexehhh, reminds me a friend of mine has one I been wanting to grab but never seem to have one to swap him with me.
I think imma make that a mission tomoro, it is 'mint' and I never seen another like it..
(Ill post a pic if I pick it up)

Somthing brought me to a pic of a modded "steampunk" keyboard I though was sweeeeeet too recently.

Edit: ohh this might not count but I also recently got an old 'mint' PIII 700mhz gateway box I'm looking for a few pci lan adapters and the right linux brew to make it a decent router/cache/F@H stats server, but between scool and trying to make money I havn't look much into that. :beer:

Last edited:
In terms of component age, my Adaptec SCSI card which was made in 2001-2002 i believe. The firmware is dated 1999 but I don't think my card is that old. I got this one second hand care of ebay. Works great since I use just one drive. I got that and the hard drive 3-4 or so years ago since I didn't want to pay for a raptor and had a lot of SCSI stuff from older Macs (like a 36GB 10K drive I don't use because its louder than an 80mm Vantec Tornado...)

My logitech X530 Speakers are older in terms of my ownership. I've had these since 2005. My secondary monitor, a Benq 20" LCD is about the same age.

It would be my speakers from 2005ish. I usually have quite a bit of older stuff but within the last year or 2 I've pretty much updated everything.

My case, still has the AMD Athlion sticker from when I first built it with a 2500 Barton CPU, unlocked.

Probably the case itself on my main rig; i think I got it back in 2002 or 2003?

Oldest hardware in the room is the old box I'm trying to make a server out of... an old P3 with a 7.5 multi that runs at 1000mhz with 512mb of ram and linux installed on a 10gb hard drive. The goal is to combine it with an old 950mhz celeron some extra ram and a few spare hard drives and see what it can do.

I'm so pathetic. My main desktop is from 2005. Its has an Athlon 64 3700, MSI K8N-Neo2-F mobo, and BFG 6800 GT graphics card. Its also sad that I can remember it's specs after this long. It was my only attempt at water cooling. I must have spend $400 on a whole danger den setup. I also had fun modding the case. The oldest components are actually the case and dvd drive from 2003. I've been mainly using a Dell XPS laptop for the last 2.5 years. I'll build myself a new gaming computer one of these days. TF2 on my XPS is painfully slow, but its mainly due to my hard drive going out. Smashing your fist on a laptop in gaming fury isn't a good idea.

I would have to say my old In-Win Q500 case. Everything else has been replaced recently right down to my cables. I've had it forever and keep modding it to fit my needs. So far windows have been cut in it, the front has been cut and bondoed to fit a duel 120 radiator, the rear has been cut to fit a single 120 radiator, painted it more times than I can count, sand blasted multiple times, drilled it out in just about every location needed for mounting everything from Pentium III to Phenom IIs over the past 8 or so years. Overall I've had it longer than three cars, one truck, a house, a wife... and two kids.

Seeing as how I just built a new rig this week: some nice aluminum thumb screws from 2003.

Oldest things in the room: Altec Lansing 4.1 speakers from '99 and a floppy drive from '91.

I am also incredibly un-original and I believe my DVD burner would be the oldest thing in my computer.

In the room though I just got a pentium 100, traded it for a beer :p

Edit: IBM keyboard is also from 2005

Nother Edit: If I wanted to be a real smartass I'd go and grab a 51/4 floppy drive and throw that in...do new BIOSs even recognize those nemore...

Last edited:
Back