• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of PSU for 9600GT SLI? HDMI question too.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slayn

I looked at SLI zone for reference but I dont know how complete it is. It does not list the 9600GT but I assume its the same as dual 8800GT but maybe a little less. I found what looks like a good PSU but it isnt listed. I dont see why not. Opinions?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159058

Also I am looking at cards with HDMI and a few of the 9600GT cards come with them. This 9600GT says "HDMI with adapter". It looks like all it has is DVI to HDMI but how exactly is that going to work, if you use the adapter it wont carry over the audio through the DVI adapter will it? I see a SPDIF connector but I dont understand. Good price tho $120 after MIB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500038

Then theres this Palit one with an actual HDMI port on the back. Any opinions? $125 after MIB.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16814261002

eggyhustles

that 700 watt should be more than enough i assume(don't take my word for it lol)..i have a evga 9600gt on a 430 watt antec psu and it runs fine

Trap05

Coolmax would not be a good power supply.

I believe you're correct about the DVI to HDMI you would have to use the spidif connector but I'm not sure how exactly. If you have use for the HDMI audio I would get a card that actually has a HDMI port on it.

OP
Slayn

Slayn

Ok understood abou the Palit but what about the other cards. They use an HDMI adapter but audio wouldnt carry over from the DVI port through the HDMI adapter I assume. I will either get two Palit or if I cant use the MIB for two I will just mix in one of the Zotac guys.

jiggamanjb

In addition to the card, there are a few bundled extras, including DVI-to-VGA and DVI-to-HDMI converters, a S/PDIF cable, an S-Video/Component combo cable, a driver CD and an instruction manual. The most notable inclusion is the DVI to HDMI converter, as we briefly mentioned that all of Zotac’s ZONE series cards would be able to pass audio over DVI and this is the gizmo that helps to make that possible, but it isn’t all that is required.

With AMD’s Radeon HD 2600- and HD 2400-series graphics cards, there is an audio controller inside the company’s Unified Video Decoder and this allows the card to pass audio from the audio codec to the HDMI connection (on the graphics card) without needing any additional connectors. Because Nvidia’s graphics cards currently don’t support this feature, a S/PDIF connector is required to pass the audio from the audio codec to the graphics card (and thus to the HDMI port) – this is included in the box and works well providing your motherboard or soundcard has a pin header for S/PDIF out.

OP
Slayn

Slayn

I will be honest I did not understand that explanation but basically you are saying with that adapter I can get audio through the HDMI just the same as an actual HDMI port on my graphics card, essentially theres no difference correct? I guess I will go with Zotec since I can get two MIB instead of only one like the other product. I just never heard of Zotec I think its a Chinesed based company.

Last edited:

jiggamanjb

I will be honest I did not understand that explanation but basically you are saying with that adapter I can get audio through the HDMI just the same as an actual HDMI port on my graphics card, essentially theres no difference correct? I guess I will go with Zotec since I can get two MIB instead of only one like the other product. I just never heard of Zotec I think its a Chinesed based company.

YUP!

tanooki

Registered
I believe that the same company that produces Sapphire cards also makes Zotac.

NettieZoom

You are better off just getting a single 8800GTS 512mb over SLI 9600GT, you could always add another GTS down the road..

The 9600GT is just not worth it unless you are getting it dirt cheap as they have half of their stream processors disabled which kind of cripples them compared to the 8800 series.

You can pick up a 8800GT 512 for sub $150 now and a 8800GTS for $175ish, with those cards so cheap it makes the 9600GT less desirable.

ratbuddy

You are better off just getting a single 8800GTS 512mb over SLI 9600GT, you could always add another GTS down the road..

The 9600GT is just not worth it unless you are getting it dirt cheap as they have half of their stream processors disabled which kind of cripples them compared to the 8800 series.

You can pick up a 8800GT 512 for sub $150 now and a 8800GTS for $175ish, with those cards so cheap it makes the 9600GT less desirable.

The lack of SPs doesn't seem to hinder the card one bit. The HD 3850 has something like 320 SPs, and still gets it's butt handed to it by Nvidia cards with less than half that number. 9600GT still performs somewhat close to an 8800GT, and if you are on a budget, and can find a pair of 9600GT's for ~$220, it's worth it over the GTS. If you plan to upgrade later, GTS (later SLI) is a great choice..

EchoTheDolphin

The lack of SPs doesn't seem to hinder the card one bit. The HD 3850 has something like 320 SPs, and still gets it's butt handed to it by Nvidia cards with less than half that number. 9600GT still performs somewhat close to an 8800GT, and if you are on a budget, and can find a pair of 9600GT's for ~$220, it's worth it over the GTS. If you plan to upgrade later, GTS (later SLI) is a great choice..

I'm just going to quote what's said over and over again: Unless you have the fastest card that's currently out and want more, there's no reason to go SLI.

OP
Slayn

Slayn

Someone posted this in another thread but please argue against 9600GT sli please.

avg.png

Whole article here http://techreport.com/articles.x/14686/1

You can get a 9600GT for around $150 and they all have between $10 and $30 MIR each card. So theoretically you can have two 9600GT for $250 after MIR and it will probably beat the crap out of anything around $350-500.

Niku-Sama

some are even chaper than that, i looked at that palit card and i almost went for it except theres nothing cooling the ram really. no ram sinks on that.

so i bought the EVGA one since it has a lifetime warranty and i can potentally step up to a different card soon

ratbuddy

I'm just going to quote what's said over and over again: Unless you have the fastest card that's currently out and want more, there's no reason to go SLI.

Saying it over and over doesn't make it true. If you already have an SLI board, right now, for $220 or so, the best possible performance comes from a pair of 9600GTs, no question about it.

OP
Slayn

Slayn

some are even chaper than that, i looked at that palit card and i almost went for it except theres nothing cooling the ram really. no ram sinks on that.

so i bought the EVGA one since it has a lifetime warranty and i can potentally step up to a different card soon

Yeah.

Last edited:

ratbuddy

Yeah I dont like the quality of the other products and i work at evga so I can RMA them rather easily haha.

Ohhhh, so riddle me this.. Why don't we have an EVGA rep on these forums? And why do they rip so hard on next day shipping (over $100)