• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of store supplies...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a c i d.f l y

Waterblocks?

Waterpumps?

Proper tubing?

Is it plausible that a hardware store would carry usable items?

And mounting the waterblock to the core, I'm asssuming I'd have to use conventional methods? heh.. It is my birthday Sunday, and I plan on purchasing a little setup to OC my incoming JUIHB.

I might consider building a new box, too. Be on the lookout.. :p

-Frank

*Edit: By all this, I mean locally, local stores... ie. Lowes, Home Depot... I can obviously get a heater core at Autozone or the green label'd auto place. I guess my main concern is an appropriate water pump?

Mark Larson

Disabled
Hardware stores carry tubing, brass knurled nuts, springs, threaded rods, metal plates (for the other side of the mobo) and tools. You'd have to get a pump from either a pet-store or online, and a waterblock definitely online.

OP
a c i d.f l y

a c i d.f l y

Damnit, I never thought pet-store when I thought of a pump. That was so bloody obvious, as one of my friends had tons of fish. Anyways, I'm sure one could fabricate an appropriate waterblock out of something else? Surely one wouldn't be forced to order one online?

...and how much would a decent flowing pump from a petstore cost? So I know I'm not getting ripped off? All the other stuff I know what is decent price-wise.

-Frank

Mark Larson

Disabled
Well, my store had a Maxijet 1200 for $ 39.99 plus tax, while i got it online for $ 23 shipped...

And unless you want to build a waterblock (many headaches) you'll pretty much have to whip out someone's credit card and do the deed online (or you could call the store up and ask if they take MO)

OP
a c i d.f l y

a c i d.f l y

Mark Larson said:
Well, my store had a Maxijet 1200 for $ 39.99 plus tax, while i got it online for $ 23 shipped...

And unless you want to build a waterblock (many headaches) you'll pretty much have to whip out someone's credit card and do the deed online (or you could call the store up and ask if they take MO)

From my research, the waterblock is simply a chunk of metal with on input tube, and one output tube... a simple simple concept.. there has to be somewhere that has one. I'll have to check Winkly's (local everything-shop, except they didn't have fuel-grade rubber when the tire on my old truck ripped the metal piping to the gas tank off.. hadda go to a boat store for that) - btw, they'll have tubing, and adapters, as well as insulated tubing if I want to chill the water.... which could prove.. quite nice.

...I'll know more on this later. I'll be working on it Sat-Mon... I'll be bringing my machine back to the g/f's next week and possibly working on it. Guess I have a couple days to go. Hopefully I'll be sober enough to keep from burning up my stuff. ;)

-Frank

ps. I turn 21 on Sunday.

nbx2

Registered
speaking of chilling the water...

im pretty sure someone has thought of this before, but since you're new to this (as i am.. well im not even getting into it.. just had an idea)

remember those igloo coolers?

the huge ones say you can fill them full of ice and they will keep cold for FIVE DAYS IN 100 DEGREE HEAT.

so.. go over to big-lots and get a small one, one small enough to fit under your desk, the lunchbox sized ones maybe..

drill 2 small holes in the top and run your tubing through then use a lot of hot glue to seal the tubes to the lid you just drilled through..

mount your radiator inside the closed and ice water filled lunchbox..

snap the lid shut!

BAM!!.. quick and easy refrigerated watercooling.. just refill it with ice every week or so.. im pretty sure thats not a big inconvenience.. i mean compare it to the guys who have 15 fans in their case.. noise from that to me is more annoying than just getting some ice from the freezer every 5 days...

OP
a c i d.f l y

a c i d.f l y

nbx2 said:
speaking of chilling the water...

im pretty sure someone has thought of this before, but since you're new to this (as i am.. well im not even getting into it.. just had an idea)

remember those igloo coolers?

the huge ones say you can fill them full of ice and they will keep cold for FIVE DAYS IN 100 DEGREE HEAT.

so.. go over to big-lots and get a small one, one small enough to fit under your desk, the lunchbox sized ones maybe..

drill 2 small holes in the top and run your tubing through then use a lot of hot glue to seal the tubes to the lid you just drilled through..

mount your radiator inside the closed and ice water filled lunchbox..

snap the lid shut!

BAM!!.. quick and easy refrigerated watercooling.. just refill it with ice every week or so.. im pretty sure thats not a big inconvenience.. i mean compare it to the guys who have 15 fans in their case.. noise from that to me is more annoying than just getting some ice from the freezer every 5 days...

...the staying cold for five days thing in 100 degree weather, OUTSIDE the box. If 100W of heat is being dissipated into the icewater, it is going to melt rather quickly. More like 3-4 hours or less.... a portable fridge would make more sense, but that is still an extra $50-100 unless you check out a local Goodwill.. Eeep! Good idea! *writes that down*

-Frank