• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What kind of temp differnces are being seen between cores on the i7 6700k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Northwoods

Registered
The main reason I ask this is I have a i7 6700k that has massive fluctuations between cores regarding temps. I am seeing as much a 20c spread between my coldest and hottest core at times. Core 1 seems to be the hottest while core 2 is the coldest for whatever that's worth.

Benching with an older version of prime 95. but have also tried the new one as well as other benches.

Kenrou

From what i have been told here between 1c-10c is normal, anything above that you got a problem usually with TIM.

wingman99

Pay attention to what a 20 degree spread is excessive.
I have called intel about it and they say it is just a misreading temp sensor or sensors. Give them a call, it's not about mounting all the cores are connected to each other. Intel also says the sensors are way off at low temps.

OptyTrooper

I have called intel about it and they say it is just a misreading temp sensor or sensors. Give them a call, it's not about mounting all the cores are connected to each other. Intel also says the sensors are way off at low temps.
Hmmm I'm not sure what to think of that. I know software is notorious for bad readings so I'll side with you on this one.

wingman99

Just give Intel a call it will make you feel much more comfortable about there temp sensor diode readings and how much they error. 877.649.5817

OptyTrooper

Just give Intel a call it will make you feel much more comfortable about there temp sensor diode readings and how much they error. 877.649.5817
Oh I couldn't give **** I'm running i3's at 5.2GHz under SS. I don't even pay attention to temps except for my BIOS reading.