• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What language should I use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratbuddy

I need to write a simple program that will manipulate files (mass copy and zip them while preserving their path structure) under Windows (XP/Vista/7) and use an easily expandable list of paths to search for the files to be copied. What's my best bet languagewise? I'd like to move beyond .BAT :beer:

Last edited:
Yep, I'd throw PowerShell out there too, great for automating tasks within the OS, etc. If you want to get into it a little deeper, I'll also second VB.NET or C# (though, if given the choice, I tend to lean toward C#).

I spent years as a C++ programmer, and I also think C# is an abomination, but this is not a C/C++/C# kind of problem. This is a scripting language problem. I don't know a lot about MS scripting options, but if it were me I'd be downloading windows interpretations of the common scripting languages like ruby, perl, python, tcl, etc. Any of those would be MUCH easier than a compiled language. C is very fast but does not interact well with the shell. It's easy to execute a command in C but it's not easy to get information back into C. It's just not the right tool for the job. Avoid anything compiled... it gives no benefit over interpreted here.

I spent years as a C++ programmer, and I also think C# is an abomination, but this is not a C/C++/C# kind of problem. This is a scripting language problem. I don't know a lot about MS scripting options, but if it were me I'd be downloading windows interpretations of the common scripting languages like ruby, perl, python, tcl, etc. Any of those would be MUCH easier than a compiled language. C is very fast but does not interact well with the shell. It's easy to execute a command in C but it's not easy to get information back into C. It's just not the right tool for the job. Avoid anything compiled... it gives no benefit over interpreted here.

+1 to this... every language has it's own purpose and use... well almost every ;)

OK, I'll check out Powershell, thanks.

edit: Hmm. Can I write something in Powershell that will run on any system regardless of whether it has Powershell installed?

Last edited:
I downloaded Visual Basic Express 2008, seems to be just what I'm looking for :beer:

Haha, well then please feel free to share your nifty little tool when you get it up and running :D

I'll be throwing up another thread when I hit a roadblock, for sure. Haven't programmed since 1988 or so :beer:

No, python. :p

Anyway, did you get something working, ratbuddy?

I sorta have to learn VB first :p

It's going slow - I have no idea how to get it talking to the filesystem, but the buttons sure are purty!

I would do it in a cross-platform scripting language of your choice. Perl, python, ruby.

This way, if you later decide you want to code for other systems, you won't need to learn a new language.

I would do it in a cross-platform scripting language of your choice. Perl, python, ruby.

This way, if you later decide you want to code for other systems, you won't need to learn a new language.

Visual Basic really appealed to me because of its super-simple interface. I can just drag around the buttons and whatnot, then define them, and it's done. My impression of those other languages is you basically write them in notepad (or whatever editor) and must hand-code all the UI elements. Is that not true?

If your app needs a GUI (graphical user interface) then VB/C# should be fine. Though I would agree for the task you are performing, a scripting language would be better.

There are lots of articles on MSDN about how to do certain things with the file system. It depends on what you need to do, though. Don't be afraid to search the help, or post some code if you need a little push in the right direction. I have some experience in VB/C# and could offer some help if needed.

Back