• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What next? (Slackware)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fever

Yes, I'm an idiot. I installed Slackware, configured everything (I think) and when I boot to Linux it takes me to a command promt ala DOS. I log in as root, and after that I'm clueless. How do I get into the GUI? I'm completely lost, so go ahead and laugh at me while you help. :p

SkyHook

Senior Village Idiot
I'm definately not a Linux Guru, but if you have everything setup correctly and in fact have a GUI in place, at the prompt type "startx" without the quotes and hit enter, it should take you into the GUI you have available.

Minimal Help, but about all I know about Linux.
SkyHook

OP
Fever

Fever

Thanks man, that seems tto have done something, but it gave me an error. I must have screwed something up while I installed it. I'll try re-installing. :)

rogerdugans

Linux challenged Senior, not that it stops me...
Don't reinstall yet!

Unlike the newer versions of Windows, linux is NOT a gui based operating system- the gui is a separate piece of software that runs IN the os.

Slackware is pretty good at configuring everything in a system, but no OS can be perfect in every permutation of hardware out there, every time. ;)

You may just need to configure the x server- the part of the system that actually takes care of gui management.

I am no linux guru either, but I may be able to help out here.....first question:
What video card is in the system?

OP
Fever

Fever

Oy.. I reinstalled but now I have another problem.. Lilo isn't working, I have to use a boot disc.

Roger, thanks for offering your help, I appreciate it. Maybe I should reformat it's partition and we can work at getting it installed? Right now when I boot from the disc it asks me to select a kernel or somethign like that. I typed out "mount root dev/sda1" and it started doing stuff, but stopped at some point after it ran some benchmarks. The last line was something about it panicking, and I couldn't do anythign afterwards. When it did this my cap locks and scroll lock buttons were blinking. I had to press the reset button. I tried rebooting and instead of typing "mount root dev/sda1" I just typed "mount root" and it did the same thing. :confused:

Another thing, When it came time to install LILO again, I installed it to the mbr like I did last night, but it gave me an error. When I rebooted, trying to get into windows, I got a bunch of garbage so I had to fix the mbr with my windows XP disc.

My videocard is a Radeon 9700Pro... Should I start over again?

rogerdugans

Hmmm- now you have some issues that I think are past me! lol

sda1---Are you using sata hard drives? I have no experience or knowledge of them; I am still stuck in the ide era. ;)

Dual booting--Another topic I know little about, as I don't do it. I have too many computers for one person so I don't need to. I have heard of difficulties arising with dual booting though, but my knowledge is so limited as to be..., well useless.

Ok, to start and see if I can help, a few more questions:
1) By the video card, I am guessing that this is your main, and only pc?
2) how many hard drives do you have in it, and are they sata?
3) Are there any problems with the other os installed?

OP
Fever

Fever

I'm still stuck in the IDE era too. :p I think, now that you mention it, that I may have selected a wrong option concerning IDE/sata.. grr..

1)Yep, my main rig. I'm awaiting a computer that I bought off Arkaine, but that's besides the point. :D

2)1 hard drive, IDE interface.

3)No problem with windows, now that I fixed the master boot record.

I'm going to re-install it yet again, but I'll leave make sure I take the right package this time.. IE, not screw around with the sata/ide stuff. ;) I'll use a crap PC to get on here to see what you have to say while I reinstall. :)

rogerdugans

Allrighty then! :D

One point: every standard pc I have messed with linux in uses hda for the first ide hard drive, etc.
hdb would be the second, and so on.

hda1 would be the first partition on the first drive, hda2 the second partition, and so on.

Your missing kernel and kernel panic may have been from that.

I will be on and off this evening, as I have some stuff to make money that needs doing.;)

I will help where and as I can though- PM also coming your way. ;)

OP
Fever

Fever

Hrmm.. That might explain it.. I told it to load the ntfs partition I think. I'll give it another try with the boot disc, but now LILO is running fine again. I can boot to it via LILO, but one I get to the promt I have no idea what to do. When I type startx it loads something up, but then my screen goes black and doesn't do anything. When I press crtl alt del though it beeps like ii normally does before restarting, and then it reboots. Could it be a missing video driver? I would think the driver would be installed by itself, no? It's not like it's a no-name card. :(