• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What next

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aceuk

Hi
1st go at O\C and been following Another Guide to Overclocking-Ralph Nelson.I set
system performance -Expert
CPU Interface-Aggressive
Memory Freq-Auto
Memory Timings-Aggressive.
At 133x11 3DMark-10480 cpu35c (fan is on low)
I dropped multi to 8 and did a Benchmark run(7mins)all OK.
Slowly increased FSB and got to 200x7.Did a 3DMark Benchmark runevery adjustment .cpu 27c.
At 205 x7 would not boot.Should I now adjust the Vdimm or be satisfied that I got this far.
Have I got this right next step:-
Start to increase the multi until unable to boot /error then increase the Vcore.
Aslo when I had to clear Cmos to boot up again do you have to slowly work up to the last workable setting or can you just go straight there.

Thanx

well you missed out what mobo, ram, CPU, PSU you're using, its really important to know atleast the first 3 to give you some kind of helpfull answer

Sorry
I put this info in the wrong place on my profile.

Soltek SL-75frn2-l,
XP1700DUT3C JIUHB,
Coolermaster X-dream HSF,
2x256mb Twinmos PC3200,
Radeon 9500Pro,
WD 40gb hard drive,
Plexwriter CD-rw drive,
Lian li PC6085 case,
Q-tec 550w PSU.

I always like more voltage. To me it seems to be the "stability maker". Unfortunaly, i just cant get enough with my board. If i was you, i would run as much as you can keep cool..

Of course the chip may only last 5 years, but hey, you'll need a new one by then anyways...

I think that the limiting factor of your system is the motherboard, and not the RAM or the CPU, as you're running it at even a lower than stock speed. I think that 200MHz FSB is very respectable for the board you got and I'd settle at that FSB speed, now you can start upping the multiplier. Start from x8 and up the multies till the PC is unstable

The Temps are :0
CPU 37c
mobo 33c
I could increase the speed of the fan and drop them 2c but the you get more noise.wanted to see how far I can get quitely.
Temps taken by health monitor also same in bios.

The Coolest:-the mobo can go up to 250FSB in bios.
I just wondered as it was the first failure if I should increase vdimm like it sats in guide.I had a lot of trouble getting it to boot again I was not sure weather to try it.
Memory timings were at 8.3.3. 2.5 200FSB
When I tried 205FSB Memory timings 8.3.3. 3.0

You can give the memory a bit more voltage and see if that helps, if it does, then I'm wrong, but from my own readings these mobos won't do more than 200MHz FSB stably

OK ,thanx
Can you tell me how long sould you run 3DMark or Prime 95 for each increase.
Aslo when you run prime95 is best on the auto method or manual.

Back