• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What P3 hs/fan should i get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zmzhang

I have a p3 750mhz. It reaches temps of 57 C. It currently has a Intel retail hs/fan on it. I think 57 is a bit high for the cpu. I want to replace the hs, what should i get? btw, it currently has artic silver 3 on it to help it transfer heat.

BaldHeadedDork

Oy, yeah, 57c is on the high side. :eek:

I gotta ask, what were the readings before you applied the AS3? And what do you have it overclocked to?

Anyway, my first choice for a Socket 370 cooler is the Cooler Master HHC-001, which Newegg has for $27.

BHD

OP
Z

zmzhang

Before i applied, as3, it was hitting 62c. What is really weird is that this cpu isn't overclocked at all. I'll take a look at the hs that were suggested.

Edit:
I looked at the hs and the p3 i have is slot so the ones suggested won't work.

deez

got a pic of your heatsink? Some intel heatsinks were big and beefy just had little fans. Maybe a better fan would cool it a few degrees

OP
Z

zmzhang

The hs looks something like this expect for that its all black, the fins are straight instead of arched upward, and the fan is different.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©

advanR

i doubt your hs is assituated properly. my 700e at 945 with alpha pep66 barely ever gets over 30c. 1.8v. see that your hs makes complete contact, and that you use very little arctic silver.

otherwise i suggest the pep66 if you can find one. its designed for slot 1 boards and i cant imagine you needing anything more. btw, my setup is with a 38cfm 60mm delta, but im sure you could get away with something more quiet.

TheNEWB

Dont waste your money!

Just fixed my lil sis computer, her 800 P3 was running at 59C, couldnt figure it out for an hour, tried the heatsink, on tried AS3, lower voltage, increased voltage, nothing.

Hehehe, realized the little metal clip was on backwars, the pressure point on the clip was not over the core but to the right of it so it looked ok, but if you observe carefully it was at an angle to the core.

Switched the metal clip around, you have to remove the fan and put it back on. BOOM INSTANT DROP TO 37C. I would like to see the best HSF combo do that for under $0. Hehehehe, sometimes I amuse my self.

Please note that the stock intel heatsink, fan, and clip were never previously dissasembled, they came from factory like that. Hmmm.....telllrs you something....it does.

Respect y'all

Kam

OP
Z

zmzhang

kamilkluczewski, thanks a lot. I took a look at the hs and noticed the pressure point was off also. The metal clip doesn't have any markings on which side should be up. I removed the hs, reapplied the as3, and replaced the hs with the metal clip fliped around. I booted it up and the dropped to 51 C when running 3dmark and 36 C when it is idle.

The fan is spinning at a speed of 5113rpm. If i change the fan to a higher speed fan, would that help?

I just bought this cpu from a friend half a year ago and he told me it was a stock heatsink.

TheNEWB

Yes

Yes it will drop the temps, around 7 degress for another 20CFMs. This means youd have to get a fan that spins at around 7000rpms. Are you willing to trade off the quietness for temps. If so go ahead, my Thermaltake on my P4 runs at 4500 default and 59c under load, it drops to 52c under load at 7000RPM, but it sounds like a hairdryer.

Take Care,

kam

TUK101

Yes, either get a faster fan for the hs, or get another fan to mount inside of the case to help vent some of that hot air out of the case. Also check to see if you can mount a fan to the lower front of the case to draw in some cooler fresh air into the case.