• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What ports does file and printer sharing use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Panzerknacker

Disabled
I have to know which ports file and printer sharing uses because I want to use the winxp integrated firewall but when I simply activate it, the other computers in the network cannot access the files anymore. I could not find anything on this, even in the MS knowledge base.

turd

Also I dont know the extent of your sharing needs, however I would caution u to opening up your ports and would instead open a range or specific addresses to have access to the shares. You would want like 192.168.1.2 -192.168.1.10 to have access to each other for all purposes. Or 192.168.254.2 unrestricted/restricted bi-directional com tcp/udp with 192.168.254.3, and vice-versa. Not 137,138,139 open and out there. Hope this makes sense?

Edit: If you do just open up those ports to the outside there are several ways that someone can EASILY! connect and map your shares. Some of what it would involve is you coming up on a range scan, which again is easily enough done.

Last edited:

TimDgsr

i thought smb got thrown in the mix of file/print sharing as well? smb is port 445.

have you upgraded to service pack 2 with xp? makes the firewall a little easier to play with.

OP
Panzerknacker

Panzerknacker

Disabled
Hm thanks for the help, but what is all this problems with filesharing thru windows? I have everything at read only, what can happen to my files?

turd

http://grc.com/port_445.htm

INMHO if you want to get into firewalling you should get into a little of the background, what reasons what is blocked and keep up on it. Like virus protection you need to keep it up dated, with a firewall you need to understand/take control of the rules. Again this is just my view.