• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what power supply are you using for your duallie?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
dustybyrd

dustybyrd

oh yeah...forgot to post mine:

530 watt Fortron (have run 350 watt Fortron for one month with no problems)

dual p3's at 1.62 ghz...and the rest is in sig...

OP
dustybyrd

dustybyrd

Antec True power 430w
Dual XP 1700s @ 2700 (2.20ghz) @ 1.85v
SK7 + Sunon 80mm fan
MSI K7D

-efini

actually, you're just the guy we need to get information from...i see you have a p4 3ghz and a dual AMD at 2.2ghz...

which one "feels" faster?

how do benchmarks compare?

which machine do you prefer to use and why?

do you game on both?

what do you do on both?

by the way that antec 430 probably puts out 500+ watts at full load since it is rated 430 at 70% load...

Bender

Mysteriously Changing Senior
In Thelemac's Basement Eating the Chickens
Im running a 400 watt Antec. Here are my system specs:

MSI K7D master L
2 XP1700s @2600 (2100 MHz)
2 7200 RPM hard drives
Plextor 40x Burner
Pioneer 16x DVD
R9700 Pro vid
1 GB PC2700 Mushkin ram

5v and 12v are almost perfect. My 5v fluctuates between 5.00v and 4.95v full load according to MBM5.

OP
dustybyrd

dustybyrd

Im running a 400 watt Antec. Here are my system specs:

MSI K7D master L
2 XP1700s @2600 (2100 MHz)
2 7200 RPM hard drives
Plextor 40x Burner
Pioneer 16x DVD
R9700 Pro vid
1 GB PC2700 Mushkin ram

5v and 12v are almost perfect. My 5v fluctuates between 5.00v and 4.95v full load according to MBM5.

actually i'm curious about your opinion as well because i see you have a p4 3ghz and an AMD duallie at 2.1Ghz...

which one "feels" faster?

how do benchmarks compare?

which machine do you prefer to use and why?

do you game on both?

what do you do on both?

also, your antec 400 probably puts out close to 500 watts at full load since it is probably rated 400 at 70% load...either way it seems to be doing the job, heh?

efini

Dusty,

1. The pentium 4 rig feels faster since I have it running on Raid 0 for everyday tasks such as boot up or starting applications. The cpu is running faster than one of the modded AMDs and the memory is also 200mhz.

2. In single cpu benchmarking, the intel scores higher.

3. I prefer to use my intel machine since single applications apply more to me.

4. I game on both machines. The AMD rig has higher benchmarks but that is probably due to the Radeon 9600. Both game equally well.

5. The intel rig is my personal computer which I use for daily tasks from surfing, divx encoding, photoshop, gaming and a few other applications. On my AMD rig, I use it primarily as a streaming Divx/Mp3 server to a network of 5 Xbox Clients. It will probably be used a shared network file server soon too.

6. Yes, my Antec 430 is doing the job. Prime95 and 3dmark looping overnight have passed. However, I should be quick to remark that I am running a Radeon 9600, 1 hard drive, 1 cd rom, and 1 floppy. So my power consumption demands won't be as high.

*. Regarding my 5v and 12v stats: both slightly undervolt under full load but are acceptable. The 5v is near perfect: 4.99v. The 12v goes down to 11.90v.

hope this helps,

-efini

OP
dustybyrd

dustybyrd

Dusty,
6. Yes, my Antec 430 is doing the job. Prime95 and 3dmark looping overnight have passed. However, I should be quick to remark that I am running a Radeon 9600, 1 hard drive, 1 cd rom, and 1 floppy. So my power consumption demands won't be as high.

*. Regarding my 5v and 12v stats: both slightly undervolt under full load but are acceptable. The 5v is near perfect: 4.99v. The 12v goes down to 11.90v.

hope this helps,

-efini

what are the MBM voltage readings with no load? the difference between when under load versus not is important since these voltage readings are probably inaccurate anyway...

on your preferred, fast machine...it's the p4, heh? ok...but it sounds like there isn't that much difference...plus the p4 is in raid 0 which helps...and gaming is about the same, although the dual does have a better video card (why is the better video card on the dual if you prefer the p4?)

if there isn't that much difference i think i would choose to use the dual amd for all the time use since i like to watch, record tv, burn cd's, surf etc...all the same time...

also, i noticed last night that i can play quake 3 on one monitor and watch tv on the other at the same time on my dual...that's pretty cool...

efini

Dusty,

1. I just checked MBM 5 and with no load, my 5v line is 5.02v and my 12v line is exactly 12.00v.

2. The Radeon is in the AMD machine since I have been too lazy to switch it over to my water cooling rig. It is very troublesome and all my games run to my satisfaction. I will probably be switching it over in the near future.

3. I am continuing to use my single cpu Intel rig since the AMD will be doing simulatneous things at once. It was built as an inexpensive quick solution for

- streaming media
- network sharing of files
- emulation of old arcade games (to output to tv )
- guest computer to surf the internet
- potential game server in the future

I must stress inexpensive since both CPUs were acquired for under $90 and modded for SMP use.

Basically, I want to keep using my current rig as my own and the dual one as everything else.

-efini

OP
dustybyrd

dustybyrd

Dusty,

1. I just checked MBM 5 and with no load, my 5v line is 5.02v and my 12v line is exactly 12.00v.

2. The Radeon is in the AMD machine since I have been too lazy to switch it over to my water cooling rig. It is very troublesome and all my games run to my satisfaction. I will probably be switching it over in the near future.

3. I am continuing to use my single cpu Intel rig since the AMD will be doing simulatneous things at once. It was built as an inexpensive quick solution for

- streaming media
- network sharing of files
- emulation of old arcade games (to output to tv )
- guest computer to surf the internet
- potential game server in the future

I must stress inexpensive since both CPUs were acquired for under $90 and modded for SMP use.

Basically, I want to keep using my current rig as my own and the dual one as everything else.

-efini

so those voltage rails look great then....and a 430 watt antec is sufficient for a AMD duallie...no surprise

and i like your setups...

AmigoThree

Hey I see you decided to post this thread as you mentioned in mine.

And on the P4 vs AMD thing. I think my P4 "feels" smoother, I dont know how to describe it but it just does.

OP
dustybyrd

dustybyrd

Hey I see you decided to post this thread as you mentioned in mine.

And on the P4 vs AMD thing. I think my P4 "feels" smoother, I dont know how to describe it but it just does.

how fast are your p4 and AMD machines? is the amd dual?

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
AMD dual 1:

MSI K7D Master-L w/ dual XP2100's @ stock at the moment (need better cooling)
550 Watt Vantec Stealth PSU (the loudest power supply on the planet. I modded it to make it tolerable)

AMD dual 2:

MSI K7D Master w/ dual XP1600's @ 1667 MHz
CompUSA 500 watt PSU

AMD dual 3:

MSI K7D Master w/ dual XP1800's @ XP2000
Generic 550 Watt PSU (Powmax, I think)

AMD dual 4:

Asus A7M266-D w/ dual XP1800's @ stock (file server)
Enermax 550 watt PSU (also, louder than I would prefer, but much better than the Vantec)

AMD dual 5:

Tyan Tiger MP w/ dual XP1600's @ stock (modded for 1.5 Vcore)
Generic 500 Watt PSU (Powmax)

Intel dual 1: (I have had other Intel duals in the past, but this is the only one I currently have)

IBM Netfinity Server w/ PII 350's @ stock
350 Watt OEM PSU

(I have tried lower wattage PSU's on most of my AMD duallies and had bad experiences with lower powered ones. The sytems would: not power up (fan spinners), not warm boot, or be unstable (often crash during the boot process.)

OP
dustybyrd

dustybyrd

AMD dual 1:

MSI K7D Master-L w/ dual XP2100's @ stock at the moment (need better cooling)
550 Watt Vantec Stealth PSU (the loudest power supply on the planet. I modded it to make it tolerable)

AMD dual 2:

MSI K7D Master w/ dual XP1600's @ 1667 MHz
CompUSA 500 watt PSU

AMD dual 3:

MSI K7D Master w/ dual XP1800's @ XP2000
Generic 550 Watt PSU (Powmax, I think)

AMD dual 4:

Asus A7M266-D w/ dual XP1800's @ stock (file server)
Enermax 550 watt PSU (also, louder than I would prefer, but much better than the Vantec)

AMD dual 5:

Tyan Tiger MP w/ dual XP1600's @ stock (modded for 1.5 Vcore)
Generic 500 Watt PSU (Powmax)

Intel dual 1: (I have had other Intel duals in the past, but this is the only one I currently have)

IBM Netfinity Server w/ PII 350's @ stock
350 Watt OEM PSU

(I have tried lower wattage PSU's on most of my AMD duallies and had bad experiences with lower powered ones. The sytems would: not power up (fan spinners), not warm boot, or be unstable (often crash during the boot process.)

wow, that's a lot of duallie's :D

so...i'm thinking those powmax 500 watters are, at best, about as good as a 350 watt fortron...just based on what i've read and what larva, the power supply guru, has said...

you mentioned that you tried lower watt power supplies and had problems...what brand were those power supplies?

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
dustybyrd said:
you mentioned that you tried lower watt power supplies and had problems...what brand were those power supplies?

I have used Enemax 465 (430 watt) PSU's, Antec 350's, Antec 300's, and a bunch of generic 300-400 watt PSU's. NONE OF THOSE were stable running an AMD duallie.

I also have one 520 watt PSU (Pro-Source) that was flaky, when running an MSI dual, but seemed to work ok on the Asus. It didn't have many molex connectors, either. It's performance worried me enough that I decided not to use it on any dual, just to be safe. It is (over)powering my single XP1700 @ 1833 MHz system, instead.

AmigoThree

I was comparing my single proc machines. I have a P4 2.4ghz @ 150mhz FSB with my friends 2500+ barton @ 181mhz FSB. I build his system and used it for a little myself, and still have done some stuff on it showing him the PC roots (he has been using his mom's macs all his life and only used PC's when at friends). So those were the two I was comparing. Of course they are single processor so I cant speak for duals. And I dont have a faster AMD of my own to test with (my fastest is a 1600+). But this computer (my P4) just has some feel to it that makes it seem smooth. I am not saying faster, just smoother, like consistently the same speed. With amd I dont know how to explain it, but it seems more like it is really fast in some things, then slower in others. Not very noticiable unless you are looking for this comparison or if you have used them a lot.

OP
dustybyrd

dustybyrd

I have used Enemax 465 (430 watt) PSU's, Antec 350's, Antec 300's, and a bunch of generic 300-400 watt PSU's.

I also have one 520 watt PSU (Pro-Source) that was flaky, when running an MSI dual, but seemed to work ok on the Asus. It worried me enough, that I decided not to use it on any dual, just to be sage. It is (over)powering my single XP1700 @ 1833 MHz system, instead.

wow, even the enermax 465 and the antec 350 had trouble, huh...those are probably very similar to the fortron 350w in max power based on tomshardware review and people's use....

so maybe the fortron 350 would come up a bit short for a dual AMD

OP
dustybyrd

dustybyrd

I am not saying faster, just smoother, like consistently the same speed. With amd I dont know how to explain it, but it seems more like it is really fast in some things, then slower in others. Not very noticiable unless you are looking for this comparison or if you have used them a lot.

does anybody else feel the same way about p4's versus amd's in single or dual mode?

what about you, cmcquistin? have you used enough p4's to compare to all those amd duallies?

cmcquistion

IT Director Senior
I don't feel that way.

I have used a lot of P4 and a lot of AMD systems.

The old P4 with 256 kb cache is just a dog to work with. To me, it feels slower and gets bogged down more often than an AMD running 20% slower.

The Northwood was much better and performed admirable, but it still just gets stuck, with me. When it gets bogged down, it is just like when an AMD CPU gets bogged down. That's the way it feels, to me, anyway.

This is why I got my first dually. I heard that you could multitask like crazy and the system wouldn't slow down and stuff like a single CPU.

When I built my first AMD dually, I was using a P4 2.0A overclocked to 2.67 GHz, with PC1066 RDRAM. It was fast at single tasks, but it was dissapointing for multi-tasking.

I tried to build a dual with the Gigabyte board but, after ordering and waiting a couple days, I called and found out it was on backorder. Cancelled that, and got the Iwill board. Got it and it was stable as a jellyfish. Messed with it for two weeks, never became stable, so I sent it back. Finally, I got the MSI K7D Master. I paired it with two XP1600 Palomino's and away I went. Took all my components out of my P4 system and slapped them in the new system. It was SO FAST. It felt so much faster at everything. I could multitask with silky smoothness and I could run a ton of apps at once, without slowdown.

The ONLY app that I noticed ANY negative difference in, was 3DMark. I lost about 10-15% in that, but my games felt much smoother to play. I believe this is because other running apps don't steal CPU cycles from the game.

Since then, I have been hooked on duallies. I have two and home and three at work, not counting the Intel dual at work.