• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What processer should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The case you list only comes with one fan and that in the front panel. I would certainly add two 120mm fans in the top panel or you will not have adequate ventilation.

This is what I came up with. It's about $100 more than the build you have. The only concerns with the build you have are:

1. Case-The case is only 8" wide and the cooler may not fit. As mentioned above if you go with this case you'll want to add additional fans. This case already has front USB so no need for the adapter.

2. SSD- I don't think the Kingston are as good as the Samsung or Toshiba's. I maybe wrong here and hopefully someone will correct me if I am.

3. PSU-As mentioned you won't need 650W although threes nothing wrong with getting a larger one (I normally do to). I dropped this build to a 500W as it's unlikely you'll SLI your GPU.

4. GPU-For gaming computers is best to get the biggest GPU you can afford. That's where the extra $100 comes in. N760, N770 & R9 280X are right where you want to be in my opinion.

5. RAM-2x4@1866 CAS 9 is all you really need for gaming. Anything higher is basically unused.

This is just my opinion and like I said there is little to nothing wrong with the build you listed.

P.S. I may edit this post as I think of other things.

+1 Blaylock, the 2133 ram is way big overkill, 1866 at the most and it will even save on the budget.
and the better the video card the better all round.
I like a bigger psu also but this is looking like a 550watt build to me.

5-10bucks more and you can have a nice Corsair liquid cooler for your cpu. I've got the H60 and I run at 40C or under on max settings for BF4 OC'd to 4.4GHz. That's just me tho. As for the case, get on frys.com. Last I checked, they had plenty of cooler master and equivelent cases with huge cooling options (to include liquid) for $50 or less. 120,140, and 280mm fan options. Also, I'd stick with a 600W and don't worry about Modular for the PSU. My buddy and I just threw together his rig and he got a 750W semi Mod for 45 though, so perhaps there's another deal out there that you could look into? idk. Other than that though, I think you have a pretty solid build coming on here. Just be sure to invest in some nice cooling (likely liquid or custom) before starting the OC process

Unless it were to be some name brand BF sale, I doubt there is 750W semi Mod for 45 though, that I would have in my system. Cheap P/Ss have a habit over time of dying and taking more of the parts with them. Inexpensive can be good and not be cheap.
Gone...again.

Am I missing something here? $300 for CPU + Mobo + cooler is pretty much perfect for a 8320/6300/6350 CPU + cooler and mobo. Why is everyone recommending an APU build? I presume he is going to spend more on the rest of the parts.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $284.97
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-07 21:13 EST-0500)

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg) = In general since the Giga boards have moved beyond the Rev 1.1 of the UD3 boards, they have shown themselves to be a real pain to most users and espcially so when the user begins to overclock. That is why we really have not been recommending the Giga AMD3+ mobos.

The mobo he is looking at is not the lower tier of boards but the upper tier of the newer FM2+ mobo. A motherboard that seems to be where AMD is going and with the Kaveri processor will have the Steamroller architecture within instead of the dead end AM3+ cpu architecture.

All that is the reason most are pointing him toward a later AMD APU and upper tier mobo for FM2+. AMD is abandoning us that normally run cpu and discrete video card and to get their later cpu tech it will come in APU clothing.
Gone...Again.

This is what I am thinking so far. Any critical reviews would be appreciated.

CPU: AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.Sniper A88X ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.13 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax ATX-249B (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K350 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard ($48.99 @ Dell)
Mouse: Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball ($39.89 @ Amazon)
Other: Font Panel USB 3.0 ($16.99)
Total: $955.88
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-07 14:45 EST-0500)

I would not get an APU if you are going discrete video. But it is hard to argue with the Price.

I personally wanted a A10 ITX setup. But I like a PC I do not know is there

EDIT: Just saw rgones post.

I see. That is a good reason to go FM2 then

This is what I am thinking so far. Any critical reviews would be appreciated.

CPU: AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G1.Sniper A88X ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.13 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax ATX-249B (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K350 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard ($48.99 @ Dell)
Mouse: Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball ($39.89 @ Amazon)
Other: Font Panel USB 3.0 ($16.99)
Total: $955.88
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-07 14:45 EST-0500)

Ditch the SSD. Switch CPU to AMD FX 6300. Mobo to M5A99X and GPU to 7870 or 7950 or R9270X

5-10bucks more and you can have a nice Corsair liquid cooler for your cpu. I've got the H60 and I run at 40C or under on max settings for BF4 OC'd to 4.4GHz. That's just me tho. As for the case, get on frys.com. Last I checked, they had plenty of cooler master and equivelent cases with huge cooling options (to include liquid) for $50 or less. 120,140, and 280mm fan options. Also, I'd stick with a 600W and don't worry about Modular for the PSU. My buddy and I just threw together his rig and he got a 750W semi Mod for 45 though, so perhaps there's another deal out there that you could look into? idk. Other than that though, I think you have a pretty solid build coming on here. Just be sure to invest in some nice cooling (likely liquid or custom) before starting the OC process

Those AIO "liquid coolers", are very unreliable. Best for him to stick to something that's cheaper and will be reliable, otherwise dive into either a high end air cooler or custom loop.

I agree with trends suggestion on the new AMD APU's.

I think for that price range this would be your "best bang for your buck".

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1Ry2Q

Wow, I didn't realize the A88X Sniper was in the $100 range. That would be a sweet build. Especially if you end up using dual graphics with a 7750 or 7770.

Does anybody have a solid idea of what cards the A10-6800K supports in Dual Graphics mode?

6670 officially and 7750 non officially.

If game experience is more important than synthetic benchmarks to you though, stick with a discrete 7750 or 7770 even. You won't bench as well but unless something has changed you will get a smoother experience.

EDIT: Although... in http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dual-graphics-crossfire-benchmark,3583-3.html they are using 1866 MHz RAM the timings are deplorable. You would be hard pressed to find equally as bad timings at 2133 MHz. IGP requires Fast tight ram last I heard.

Some of you guys who have jumped into the thread later on should read the OP's opening posts where he outlines what he wants to do with the system.

Some of you guys who have jumped into the thread later on should read the OP's opening posts where he outlines what he wants to do with the system.

Not intensive gaming but mentioned Civilization (which is massively CPU intensive). I read that. My last post was a response to the previous post.

civ5 is 4 core limited so no need for a 8 thread beast.

I play it on my laptop instead of my desktop, because desktop is ath2 270 with (now) 560GTX and laptop is sandyB with HD3000 more ram and a SSD.

CPU: AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor = That is n0t the newer Kaveri APU, but rather the older Richland APU. IF I had any choice at all in time frame, for me personally, I would wait on the Kaveri core; which is using Steamroller cpu architecture.

6670 is the highest GPU AMD recommends for the A10-6800K (Richland) in hybrid crossfire mode. And truth be know it is a waste.

Currently have found no solid info as to what video cards will be recommended for the top of the line Kaveri when it arrives.

If you follow those two links below you will see why I myself do not generally recommend AMD APU systems. Entry level? Yes/maybe. But for full on computing like an old faht like me is used to...AMD is abandoning me when the AM3+ socket is now seeming "dead" and only APU type stuff is forth coming. Sure you can buy an FM2 socket cpu that has the iGPU dead in it. But you still get only 4 cores and NO L3 cache.

Again reason for me to suggest waiting on Kaveri and not buying the Richland APU. Get a more powerful Steamroller cpu architecture inside the APU.

Anyway, those two links below speak volumes about why I am likely looking at Intel in my future.

Can AMD's Newest APU Play Your Favorite Games Without A Dedicated Graphics Card? (Part 1)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...mes-without-a-dedicated-graphics-card-part-1/

The Verdict On AMD's A8-6600K, And Surprising Revelations Testing An A10-6800K With Dual Graphics (Part 2)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...ions-testing-an-a10-6800k-with-dual-graphics/

I agree with the last few posts up there and truth to be told I tried building an i5 rig but just couldn't get it as close to his budget. Thought about setting up an i3 build but I couldn't get myself to stoop that low. lol

The Verdict On AMD's A8-6600K, And Surprising Revelations Testing An A10-6800K With Dual Graphics (Part 2)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonev...ions-testing-an-a10-6800k-with-dual-graphics/

Sobering at first, and then WHAM wait what? oh fell for the old FPS thing did they?

Benchmarks look good, but THG also covered output, which was terrible.

Any competitive overclocker that also games knows there is a BIG difference between playability, quality images and Frame rate. (I listed them in order of importance). The people that sell hardware think it is the other way around. Frames first, IQ second and playability is an after thought that "we will fix with driver updates"

... snip ...

(EDIT: long rant was WOT. unneccessary)

Know what is in the PS4 and XB1? AMD APUs. Why? because 1080P is EASY

Last edited:

I still don't see how an APU fits his needs. He could get the CPU/Mobo/cooler combo I mentioned above with ram/case/psu and a R9 270x for around $700 ($800 with a copy of windows). I just build a comp like this for someone. It would be able to play games a lot better than the APU systems being recommended. I've built 6600K systems before for office comps, he would be able to get by for gaming but an FX cpu would be a lot better.

Back