• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What processer should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP
GreenSmoke

GreenSmoke

I spent most of last night reading about fans and case cooling.

For the case fans, I am thinking 2x120's air intake fans in and the 2x120 fans that come with the case exhausting.

2x69 in = 128 CFM
2x44 out = -88 CFM
================
+50 CFM

Based on my reading, this should probably be sufficient and the positive pressure should reduce my dust accumulation. The fans should all be quiet also which is a key requirement.

Blaylock

"That Backfired" Senior Member
Research. Smart move. A wise man once told me "Success follows preparation in equal measures. "

Actually I think I read that in a book once. Either way sounds cool.

Neuromancer

The closer you get to 0 CFM in/out the quieter they will be.

For RAM the 1866 MHz is the slowest you should go. Faster helps, and helps even more when you overclock the IGP to 1+ GHz... but the largest performance jump is between 1600 and 1866 MHz. It is about the same (if not more) than the difference between 1866 and 2400.

You need to balance the price/performance ratio for yourself of course, but I would not suggest going under 1866.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...7166-amd-trinity-a10-5800k-apu-review-25.html

ShrimpBrime

~MadHatDeLidder~
Again reason for me to suggest waiting on Kaveri and not buying the Richland APU. Get a more powerful Steamroller cpu architecture inside the APU.

Jan 14th 2014. Just over 30 days....

Myself am waiting for possible upgrade from FM1 Llano A8-3850. Have had this running de-lidded since early July 2011 as HTPC light gamer.

No point in a purchase now when they got those Kaveri so close to launch.

RGone

Senior DFI Staff
That close man? Shett shett that ain't long for sure. OEMs already had them though I think? So buggieness should not be an issue. Thanks for the heads-up.
RGone...

Jan 14th 2014. Just over 30 days....

Myself am waiting for possible upgrade from FM1 Llano A8-3850. Have had this running de-lidded since early July 2011 as HTPC light gamer.

No point in a purchase now when they got those Kaveri so close to launch.

OP
GreenSmoke

GreenSmoke

Ok, so all the harping to wait for the Kaveri paid off and I am waiting.

I have a friend who will give me a new Corsair 500R if I want to use it on this build.

Google says it will fit the CM Hyper 212 EVO. I figured I would ask if there is anything else I should consider about the case though? All opinions welcome.

The 500R has fewer cubic inches than the CM HAF 912 (3320 vs 3353) but it comes with a 3 setting fan controller built into the case. It also has a light switch which I will probably have off all the time unless someone wants to see my new child ( :screwy:). It also hard to beat free.

RGone

Senior DFI Staff
Free is good...best when it is really something you want and need.

I have two free dogs that cost me about $500.00 getting fixed when I got them. But heck they were free. Hehehe. My booty.
RGone...ster.