• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Program/s are you using to stress test your CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Northwoods

Registered
Just wondering what everyone's choice is for stress testing. I personally use the latest version of Prime for around an Hour. (I know some consider this a power virus) The bad thing about using Prime is my temps get too high for my liking with anything above 4.5. The voltage for 4.6 and above in the latest version of prime is just too much!!

So let's hear your personal choice of stress tester vs. voltage and cpu overclock?

OP
N

Northwoods

Registered
Try the latest version of prime and see if your system is stable:) Just for say an hour.

[email protected]

It is, i pointed out Realbench because seemingly does the same job (or better since it also stresses GPU) with less temps.

Less temps means that it stress test it less, if you get less temps with realbench than with prime95 that means prime 95 stresses your CPU more.

mackerel

+1 on the different stress.

I do use Prime95, but that's because the main CPU use of my systems is very similar to Prime95 so that is a good indicator of stability. I would always build my modern desktop systems to take Prime95 24/7. If it can't do that and not melt in the process, it isn't good enough for me. If your uses are less stressful, of course you don't have to go that far.

Kenrou

I have used Prime95 and IBT and Aida64 and OCCT over the years, and Prime95 is still top for me (although i only use 26.6 non-AVX because i don't have any program/game that uses AVX so its kinda pointless in my thinking), Realbench is simply faster and the vast majority of times doesn't crash the computer, simply stops the test.

Trents explains it better then me :
I played with it a little and like what I see so far. I only used the default 15 min./4gb ram test but I like the ability to set a time limit, the level of stress though memory amount and the fact that it uses real world tasks like video encoding (handbrake) and file compression to do the stressing. Temp max evidenced the testing was rigorous but temps were not driven to extremes. Some stress testers are more about testing your cooling system than system stability. This one seems to strike a good balance and it's free.

OP
N

Northwoods

Registered
I have used Prime95 and IBT and Aida64 and OCCT over the years, and Prime95 is still top for me (although i only use 26.6 non-AVX because i don't have any program/game that uses AVX so its kinda pointless in my thinking), Realbench is simply faster and the vast majority of times doesn't crash the computer, simply stops the test.

Trents explains it better then me :

I would love to see your temps using the latest version of prime with Small FFTs for just a few minutes at your current voltage. I have the same cpu cooler and with the latest version of prime and 1.36-37v my temps soar. I know it's an extreme test but I'm more concerned about stability. I could probably do At least 4.7, maybe 4.8 if I'd take the latest prime 95 out of the equation.

Last edited:

Dlaw

I've been using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility for stress testing. I even used it to get my preliminary overclock, which is kind of nice. The overclocking section is actually pretty decent, I think, and it's nice not having to reboot to change the voltage or multiplier.