• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What PSU do I need for this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

demidrol

Registered
Hi what PSU is needed for the following system:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ socket 754
BIOSTAR TForce6100 s754
SAPPHIRE Radeon X850XT 256MB
1GB of DDR400 or DDR500 (probably DDR500 Crucial Ballitix)
1 CD-ROM
1 DVD-RW/ CD-RW combo (HP)
Audigy 2 ZS
Western Digital 200GB 7200RPM HDD (says Ultra DMA HD)
and 9-1 card reader

I prefer Antec since I have a small HP case and they make small compact PSUs, Ill probably go with SmartPower series. How much watts is enough for this machine with possible overclocking in the future? 350W, 400W, 450W 500W?

Adak

Your cpu will draw just about 95 watts at peak load, and the rest of your system is very similar to mine. Except, my cpu is a dual core 3800+, and my video board is excessively low power, since I mostly program and fold for Team 32 Folding @ Home, on this board.

I have a smartpower 450, and it does just fine. I've been folding (and etc.) on it, 24/7 since Jan. 1 of this year.

It isn't overclocked much: default is 2.0 GHz, and I run it at 2.2GHz., with the vcore voltage just slightly lower than my Abit o/c guru suggests. It lowered the cpu temps just a bit, 4 degrees C, which I always like.

Absolutely rock solid, and the power supply is very quiet. The outer fan on the psu hardly comes on, even while being stressed running two versions of the folding console at 100% usage on both cores.

Mobo: Abit AN8-SLi (but I'm just using one video board)
Ram: 2X512Mg. DDR 400
Video card: weaky squeaky ATI 800 PCI-E (by design)
HDD: Two 60 Gig. IDE, one 300 GB SATA (Seagate)
Case: Antec Sonata II
CD/DVD: Toshiba
Fax/Modem card by Airlink.

Protein folding for Team overclockers.com (32) since Jan. 06

I believe 450 Watts will give you power for now, and some room to grow, as well. If you plan to go double video boards and hard overclocking, I'd up that to 550 watts. Drooping power from the PSU is the most exasperating thing to have to trouble shoot! :mad:

Adak

OP
D

demidrol

Registered
Thanks for replies, im shocked how much people are helpfull on this board :)

I doubt i will be getting SLI boards and running 2 cards, plus im most likely to get X850XT with this good deal from newegg. All I plan on doing at later on is overclocking.

There is about $5 difference between Antec SP 400W and 450W, so I think its better to go with 450W just in case, but we'll see.

Only thing is, Im afraid I wont handle the mobo switching and connecting it to PSU, something might go wrong. plus I dont have thermal paste for my CPU. Is paste really required or can I use the one thats already on my cpu?

Albaholic

Welcome to the forums. You should have no problems changing out your PSU. if you have any questions just ask. Stock thermal paste should be ok for now. But if you stick around here long enough, I dont think you'll be leaving anything stock on your rig. ;)

Adak

demidrol said:

I doubt i will be getting SLI boards and running 2 cards, plus im most likely to get X850XT with this good deal from newegg. All I plan on doing at later on is overclocking.

There is about $5 difference between Antec SP 400W and 450W, so I think its better to go with 450W just in case, but we'll see.

Only thing is, Im afraid I wont handle the mobo switching and connecting it to PSU, something might go wrong. plus I dont have thermal paste for my CPU. Is paste really required or can I use the one thats already on my cpu?

For $5 difference, you *GET* the 450 Watt PSU, or you're not as smart as I thought.

I and others can assist you with the mobo swap. BUT YOU MUST HAVE SOME THERMAL PASTE/GREASE for the CPU!!

It's actually HARD to wire up a mobo wrong, because the connectors only fit properly ONE way (unless you gorilla them). Just do the work in a well lit room, and look carefully at the connectors as you take them apart on your old mobo. You'll see the little details on them that show how they should line up and fasten into place.

AMD has a video showing how to work with the cpu thermal grease/paste. That's the ONLY area that is easy to goof up on. Watch the video and follow their directions, EXACTLY. You'll need:

a small flat blade, like a small putty knife.
some paper towels
Isoprophyl Alcohol (high percentage), from the drug store.
A bunch of Q tips (cotton swabs).

Patience!! :D

Just like the video shows, you want to make a THIN but complete, film of paste/grease (thermal), on the cpu, which must be really clean before you start (that's what the alcohol is for and the Q tips).

You don't want the paste on any of the cpu edges or pins - it can ruin the cpu. So the film should stop just a bit before reaching any of the edges of the cpu top face.

Imo, too little paste is better than too much. It's just to fill in some air gaps that would otherwise be present, it's gap filler with good thermal characteristics, nothing more.

For the video, go to: http://www.amd.com/ I don't recall the exact sub menu, sorry. Scout around or google for "amd cpu video"

If you need help, just ask. PM me if you like.

Adak

larva

Inactive Moderator
demidrol said:

I have SP2-450s running much stiffer loads than you are considering. I think you would be very happy with this supply.

As far as the thermal paste goes, you do need to use some. But if you are re-using an existing CPU and heatsink, you should be able to remove both from the existing board and install them on the new one without disturbing the existing paste or pad unduly. It would be safer to get some good thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5 is my standard-issue), but the chances that the existing paste would not get the job done are fairly minor. You can pick up a tube of AS5 at CompUSA, however, so you may not wish to take the risk, minor as it may be.

larva

Inactive Moderator
Hardly anyone mentioned Fortron supplies before I publicized their value and quality several years ago. And while they are great units, I think at the price level the SP2-450 sells for it is probably a better unit than the Fortron alternatives. I'm sure the AX-500A Fortron would be great for your application, but I've not used the 400W model, and it demonstrates considerably lesser 12V output in testing and other's experience than does the AX500-A. Personally, I would use the SP2-450, but if you want to try the Fortron it's not a ridiculous idea.

OP
D

demidrol

Registered
Well I'm going with Antec SmartPower 500W as it costs little more than 450W. Thanks for feeback :)

larva

Inactive Moderator
demidrol said:
Well I'm going with Antec SmartPower 500W as it costs little more than 450W. Thanks for feeback :)
Sounds like a plan. I think you will like the supply.