• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What psu requirements should I be looking for?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FishDog3

I'm building an I7 system for gaming, and will overclock. I am going to start off with one ATI 5850, adding another next month. Several hard drives, and lots of fans (looking at this case, plus the cooler fans: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129043)

The last build I put together is in my sig, and I haven't ever dealt with crossfire. I am not sure how to figure out the requirements for a PSU.

I was also wondering if dual PSUs is something that is still useful. I put my last gaming build in a full tower, and I will never go back. Having all of that space is just... so much better. So, I already have a CM Stacker case, which I would be fine using if I wanted to toss 2 PSUs in there as it has two slots for them.

OP
FishDog3

FishDog3

Calculator that I found on the ASUS site says 1KW.

Guess it's time to find a reliable 1kw PSU for the 1366 chipset!

3line

I have a configuration remarkably similar to yours, and according to this calculator:

http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

My maximum power consumption (with everything going at 100%) is between 600-650W (using slightly different values for multiple calculations).

I think you'll be more than fine with a PSU in the 750-850w range. I have an 850W Corsair. That PCP&C 610W would be fine for an i7 system without Crossfire, but with Crossfire, it seems to be hitting the upper limit. Still, there's probably no way that your computer can come close to using that much power even with things like 3dmark running.

muddocktor

Retired
If you are looking for a quality psu for that proposed new system at a great price, this Seasonic S12D 850 is a hard deal to pass by and will most certainly power your proposed system. It's a better psu than the Corsair TX850 and cheaper to boot. :thup: