• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What PSU will last for many future add ons/ upgrades?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blueboy1986

I want to buy a new PSU, but money is an issue and also if i get one, i wanna make sure that i will be able to use it later after future upgrades.( like adding more fans, water cooling more HD's and drives) What brand and wattage do u think is best for this.

madsam

9mmCensor said:
antec 480 or greater. i like my antec alot... the PCP&C are great but are so damn expensive

if we compare price alone, i'll agree with you..pcp&c are not easy to afford. but, lets see the difference in what we really get in the end, and you'll see that to get more, you need to spend more: http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/pdf/Turbo-Cool_510_vs.pdf

i'm going to speculate that is an antec 550 in the comparison.

since the thread starter has mentioned price is of concern, i am going to also speculate that he can't afford the best psu out there.....neither can i, but as someone recently asked me.....what did it cost to fry my allied 400 watt, my ttgi-520 watt, and then purchase this current ttgi-520 watt? i would add that all up to about the price of a pcp&c 510 deluxe, which would have done the job for me, so, to be long term, and cost effective, i should have maybe bought the pcp&c at first, and then i wouldn't have corrupted so many raid arrays, and lost windows so often due to suffering psu's. adjusting the trim pots on my ttgi psu's, voided the warranties as soon as i tore the little sticker on the psu's casing....since the purchase of the second psu, i had problems, and i believe this was a faulty psu, but i bit it, becasue i voided the warranty. the one i am using now is actually the first ttgi i bought, and i had to go back to this one, due to my other faulty one. since i adjusted the trim pots on this one, the warranty is also voided, and this seems to run great, but since i got one bad one, i won't suggest ttgi at this time. i would also like to add that i was using 5 tornados in my case, along with the rest of the system, and i was usually at 2.1 vcore, so, i did load these psu's quite well.

ask anyone with a pcp&c if their voltages change from load to idle, and if they fluctualte at all, and the general concensus will say no.. they are the most stable, of all psu's, and even have holes to allow access to the trim pots as you wish, without voiding the waranty.they have a line conditioner to also keep the input voltage stable, and noise free. and they come with sata hdd power connectors , so, they are ready for the future.... on average, if i fry a psu every year here, it will cost about twice the price of a pcp&c over a 5 year period, plus any lost data, and so on that i may lose, along with down time.

so, in a nutshell, if you aren't loaded with cash, can you really afford "not" to have a pcp&c? i can't. so, as soon as i get an extra 197 bucks to waste on hdd's, or ram, i think i'll buy the pcp&c, and never look back.

just my 2 cents;)

Last edited:

CrashOveride

I would vote for either a higher wattage fortron or Antec, at the higher wattages the price isn't so much so either but I think I would personally still go for a forton (no money :/).

9mmCensor

Disabled
Madsam:
My antec didn't cost me 200 $ and its fine... there is a happy medium to be found when purchasing things.

You dont need to buy a BMW to have a car that is good and doesn't break, sure you could buy two Korean cars for the price of one or you could get a mid priced North American car that will las you along time, and isn't hard on the budget.

madsam

9mmCensor said:
Madsam:
My antec didn't cost me 200 $ and its fine... there is a happy medium to be found when purchasing things.

You dont need to buy a BMW to have a car that is good and doesn't break, sure you could buy two Korean cars for the price of one or you could get a mid priced North American car that will las you along time, and isn't hard on the budget.

no need to get defensive. i was pointing out some differences in how we can look at this.

keep in mind, most folks, like yourself obviously don't see, or understand the importance of a good psu.

also, i see this a lot when anyone says a bad word about antec's psu's. i think they are ok, and their power ratings are bloated, and exagerated, but so are most psu's on the market, but some folks go by the hype of a name, and antec is a common name here, and seems to get an unfair sales advantage due to hype.

i agree there is a happy medium, but is an antec any better than a fortron, dollar for dollar? i doubt it...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Hookem

Just out of curiosity what power supply do you have in your box, MadSam???

And on the Antec front...The 550 watt TruePower or TrueControl 550's are great power supply's...And the 530watt Fortron is a beast...You can get the TrueControl for 100.00 duckies at Directron and the 530watt Fortron from NewEgg for 75.00 bones

I think that you do not have to buy a Bentley...Suffer and end up with a lowly Mercedes...:eek:

madsam

as in my sig, i have a ttgi tt-520ss, which is sold under the name "superflower" at www.directron.com

;)

mine is the "eps" version, with 3 fans. it is 88 dollars now. i have really no use for the eps connector, and the 520ss without it is 69 dollars right now.

i think that makes it a good candidate for performance/dollar ratio, on the 69 dollar 520 watt ttgi. ;)

Last edited:

madsam

i chose it after reading a great review. since then, a couple more reviews have come out, and they also had good things to say.

i'll look for the linky...it was "oppainter" that did the first review i read on it. here it is:http://www.xtremesystems.org/mricee/images/myweb6/ttgi_review_1.htm

another one:http://www.xtremesystems.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Seviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=7

he has also reviewed the 550 watt bigger brother here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Seviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=8
;)

Last edited:

Hookem

but is an antec any better than a fortron, dollar for dollar? i doubt it...

Hummm...I wonder how that applies...more especially the dollar for dollar bit when talking about PC Power & Cooling...Lets see a 530watt Fortron versus PC Power and Cooling...Dollar for Dollar...Hummm...Sounds like a no brainer to me...:eek:

And yeah I read a article that reviewed Super Flower power supply's...You might find it intresting

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1841&p=1

And no I do not mind at all you asking me why I bought a Antec TrueControl 550...It was 99 bucks from Directron...I can adjust all three rails without voiding the warranty...Can watch the 12 and 5 volt rails with a digital volt ohm meter, without the case open by connecting it via the molex connector on the back of the power supply...I can also adjust the fan speed's for the power supply and case fans just by turning a knob...All this with very little change in any of the rails, under load or just sitting there doing nothing...3yr warranty...Best power supply I have ever owned...I like it even better than the 530watt Fortron I had...

I have used almost exclusively Antec or Fortron in all my builds...Unless a client wants somthing different that is what they get...With excellent results I might add... ;)

No failures...Not one DOA...No problems what so ever...Stable, reliable and Fortron in my opinion is easily the best bang for buck power supply's on the planet...:D...By a country mile as we say down here in Texas

And yes my next power supply will be a PC Power & Cooling...But I really do not think that Antec or Fortron supply's could be listed as inferior in any shape, form or fashion...Just my humble opinion mind you...:rolleyes::cool:

"also, i see this a lot when anyone says a bad word about antec's psu's. i think they are ok, and their power ratings are bloated, and exagerated"

I beg to differ...Have you ever owned a Antec power supply??? "Bloated and exagerated"...I dont think so...Here is a recommedation from a review you might find intresting...:p

http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20030609/power_supplies-18.html

Toms had another review where the lowly 380watt TruePower maxed out at 471watt's...Bloated??? Exagerated???

Last edited:

madsam

lets get this right here, before we get too hot under the collar. stop taking my posts as insults toward your psu..it's a pc part, and not your first born..

also, if you read all my posts, you'll clearly see that i have not tested antec, and i suggested that it's ratings are bloated and exagerated..."like most on the market" ...which you chose to edit out for your own purpose, and i also said i wouldn't recommend the ttgi/superflower as i have fried one myself...reguardless of the fact that my current one is working fine.

also, i didn't respond with ignorance when you asked why i bought mine, but rather, you spent all night finding one bad review, which had nothing to do with my decision to buy mine......(your review was in june of this year, and my power supply was purchased a while before that).....maybe if i saw a bad review at the time, i wouldn't have bought it, but the fact remains that at that time i saw one, and only one review, and i made my purchase.

read more carefully before you choke on your foot.....
:rolleyes:

EDIT: i would like to add that at the time i fried my ttgi, which isn't dead, but sometimes the pc wouldn't detect my hdd's on a cold boot..........i was taxing my psu much more than you guys who are bashing me for saying the word "antec"

i always run close to 2 vore, and for quite a while i was at 2.225 vcore constantly, with 4 hdd's, 5 tornados, 2 y.s.tech 120mm 130cfm fans, and cold cathodes, plus my usual stuff in the sig...so, i don't know if you can really say you have taken your psu to a load that would make it prove itself. most folks are afraid to even go to 1.9 vcore on a t-bred or a barton, let alone overclock to extemes as i have, and really tax a psu.

i have lowered my vcore, and taken out some tornados to reduce the load til i can afford a pcp&c.

also, read around the forums, when i bought a new psu more than a year ago, antecs were frying when highly taxed, and some were lemons, while others seemed to be a great product. i believe a top end enermax, or antec was over 150 dollars at the time, and many folks claimed they were worth every penny, so, i don't feel 197 for a pcp&c is bad at all, especially when that same pcp&c was 299 6 months ago.

and as good of a deal as fortron is, ...it doesn't compare to a pcp&c......... that's just plain rediculous..... both are a solid choice in their class.

if my psu fried and i had no psu, and very little cash, i would buy a fortron, or another ttgi to get by on, but if the cash allowed, i'd get the pcp&c......hands down.....;) btw...it seems the fortron cost more than the ttgi also...... 69 dollars for the tt-520ss, compared to 90+ for the fortron........

Last edited:

Hookem

First off and foremost of all I am not the one throwing around statements like:

"keep in mind, most folks, like yourself obviously don't see, or understand the importance of a good psu."

Or:

"lets get this right here, before we get too hot under the collar. stop taking my posts as insults toward your psu..it's a pc part, and not your first born..."

Or:

"also, i didn't respond with ignorance when you asked why i bought mine, but rather, you spent all night finding one bad review, which had nothing to do with my decision to buy mine"

Or:

"read more carefully before you choke on your foot"

Or...well you get the idea...How do you know what I did last night??? Assuming...sounds to me like someone is...Ignorance...LOL...defensive...sounds like someboy is...Choke on my foot???...Oh and by the way...the 530watt Fortron is ten times the supply the Super Flower you are reffering to is even if it does cost a whopping 6 whole dollars more...And no I did not stay up all night looking for bad reviews about your Super Flower...There have been multiple threads discussing all three of the power supply reviews that I am talking about...There is no doubt that PC Power & Cooling make the best power supply's on the planet...Even if they use Fortrons for some models and rework them to their spec's...

;)

Oklahoma Wolf

Senior Warranty Validity Sealed Stick Remover
Blueboy1986 said:
I want to buy a new PSU, but money is an issue and also if i get one, i wanna make sure that i will be able to use it later after future upgrades.( like adding more fans, water cooling more HD's and drives) What brand and wattage do u think is best for this.

If on a really tight budget, my suggestions are any flavour of the Fortron 350 from Newegg, though if you have a P4 and are planning to overclock it may not be that future proof (I would go with the 530 in that case).

The Antec Truepower 430 and up would be another good option, though if you have a source for their OEM manufacturer Channel Well nearby, you can usually find them a bit cheaper. I've seen a few CWT's kicking around eBay lately, though they aren't the Truepower equivalents - rather the SL line instead. For CWT, I usually recommend the CWT-430AD,480AD,or 550AD; or the CWT-450BD.

madsam

Hookem said:
First off and foremost of all I am not the one throwing around statements like:

"keep in mind, most folks, like yourself obviously don't see, or understand the importance of a good psu."

Or:

"lets get this right here, before we get too hot under the collar. stop taking my posts as insults toward your psu..it's a pc part, and not your first born..."

Or:

"also, i didn't respond with ignorance when you asked why i bought mine, but rather, you spent all night finding one bad review, which had nothing to do with my decision to buy mine"

Or:

"read more carefully before you choke on your foot"

Or...well you get the idea...How do you know what I did last night??? Assuming...sounds to me like someone is...Ignorance...LOL...defensive...sounds like someboy is...Choke on my foot???...Oh and by the way...the 530watt Fortron is ten times the supply the Super Flower you are reffering to is even if it does cost a whopping 6 whole dollars more...And no I did not stay up all night looking for bad reviews about your Super Flower...There have been multiple threads discussing all three of the power supply reviews that I am talking about...There is no doubt that PC Power & Cooling make the best power supply's on the planet...Even if they use Fortrons for some models and rework them to their spec's...

;)

if your ranting is going to continue, please don't reply to my posts any more. i have heard enough of your ignorance, and lack of understanding. if you have any further problems with me personally, attack me via pm, and stop ruining this guys thread .

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

you are actually suggesting pcp&c uses fortron psu's, and rebadges them as theirs......talk about ignorance.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hookem

I agree with Oklahoma Wolf...Get the 530watt Fortron or at least a 430 or better Antec TruePower...Excellent power supply's that will give you years of stable, trouble free service...Excellent build quality...They will not dissapoint...:D

9mmCensor

Disabled
Hookem said:

There is no doubt that PC Power & Cooling make the best power supply's on the planet...Even if they use Fortrons for some models and rework them to their spec's...
madsam said:
you are actually suggesting pcp&c uses fortron psu's, and rebadges them as theirs......talk about ignorance.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

reworking them and rebadging are different.