• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What "Silent" PSU do you recommend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itim100

I need a quiet PSU to replace my enermax 300w (it still works stable, but now that I have the 9800pro it has to turn its fan up a lot and is noisy).

Im thinking I need a new psu with a higher rating that can handle the load easier. So I need a 400w+ "Silent" PSU. Any really good models for under $70? I was looking at the Antecs and the Fortrons on newegg, but the fortrons are not especially quiet and the antects have two fans which can't be quiet. I wanted to only run two fans in the whole machine (PSU and CPU).

So watcha think (rant on own excellent quiet psu)?

situman

just ask maxboost how powerful his 430W Noisetaker!!!! is and how many things he's powering and his overclock with it.

pelikan

Seasonic Super Silencer 400W or 460W. Probably the quietest psu out there and very high quality.

dropadrop

People have quite diferant views on what silent is, and I've never seen an antec or enermax that I would classify that way... (only had my hands on a 350w smartpower, 330w truepower and a 380w truepower from a sonata)

If you really want it to be silent I would go ask at the forums at www.silentpcreview.com once they get their servers running again. They have a whole section devoted to powersupplies and are very picky about noise.

dropadrop

The fortron (sparkle) models with a 120mm fan are more silent the antec truepowers, but there is more silent ones.

AMD-Me

the antecs are loud IMO try one of those passive ones, they are usually exp tho. Other than that i would go with a 120mm model w/o the led fan, led fans tend to be louder

DaFonz

I have an enermax 550W modded with panaflos and it's the loudest thing in my computer.. so yes... dont go with enermax :p

I've heard really good things about the silenx, but unfortunately, it's just not enough juice. :(

Last edited:
OP
itim100

itim100

dropadrop said:
People have quite diferant views on what silent is, and I've never seen an antec or enermax that I would classify that way... (only had my hands on a 350w smartpower, 330w truepower and a 380w truepower from a sonata)

If you really want it to be silent I would go ask at the forums at www.silentpcreview.com once they get their servers running again. They have a whole section devoted to powersupplies and are very picky about noise.

Yeah, I know, anything that moves has no way of being silent in my opinion either, but are there any completely passive PSUs? Apparently I need less than 300W cuz the enermax is definitely stable still. Yes, I will check out that site.

Holy crap, there is a PSU with a 14cm fan? Thanks guys/girls, you are giving me a lot of stuff to look into.

pelikan

Here's Silent PC Review's power supply reviews.
I've found that putting an 80mm panaflo L1A in a psu makes it pretty darn quiet. But when switching out fans its important to have good case cooling so the psu doesn't get hot air.