• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what software to overclock my AMD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCGUY112887

Why don't you try the BIOS first? It would be best to use...
And there are a few apps I know of that will work if your mobo is supported... just gotta remember the names of em....

Drec

No increasing the fsb and vcore from windows = BAD!!!!!!

plz use the BIOS for your own sake its not that hard.

PCGUY112887

What if he is trying to overclock an OEM machine or something from Dell, Gateway, etc?

I have tryed to use some of the software out there to overclock my gateway... just coulden't get it to work :(

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
If you want a successful overclock, AKA one that is readily noticeable, you will need to familiarize yourself with your bios enough that you can change the FSB, vcore, multiplier, and memory timings.

If you are using a HP/Dell or something else which you are afraid to admit to, then you will have a hard time getting any reasonable performance improvement out of it... For retail systems like this SoftFSB is the best choice. The system bios's are hacked down to limit customization.

Actually, SoftFSB is the ONLY software tool I have seen recommended for in-windows overclocking. It should only be a last ditch tool, or a small tweaking utility to find your limits though... The bios is where you will need to get your hands dirty.

Are there questions you need answered, or what is holding you back from going into bios?

Welcome to the forums!

Last edited:
OP
M

Michael_antoi

Registered
the other pc i want to oc is my pentium 3 1ghz, but i've looked in the bios and there is nothing there that says anything about changing fsb vcore etc...

what should i do

Gabkicks

What are ur specs? i know gigabyte has overclocking software but it only works if you own one of their mobos. Everyone else has already mentioned everything about the bios.. My bios is pretty user friendly and my 2500XP came unlocked so i had no problem Overclocking.

CPL.Luke

don't use easy tune 4 (gigabytes thing) for anything other than checking temps with an a64

I personnally like clockgen for a64's it has mutiplier settngs and htt adjustments

be sure to read gautams thread and some of hitech jb's sticky

gautams thread is called a64 101 its probably on the second page right now.

the main thing you have to know about overclocking an a64 is that you are increasing the htt not the fsb.

the htt has a multiplier called the ldt wich multiplies it by 1x, 2x, 2.5x, 3x, 4x, 5x

try and keep it as close to stock, for you as possible. in other words if you overclock change the ldt from whatever it is stock down one level. this will help you keep stability (clockgen doesn't have this in its utility but its good to know)

one other utility that is good is if you have an nforce 3 board. its called nvidia system utility. good tool.

other than that make sure you have your boards latest bios as on some bios's high htt will cause your os to get angry. (happened to me :p)

OP
M

Michael_antoi

Registered
i want to oc my p3 1ghz, but i have no idea wat the mobo is in order to dload a bios which will allow me to oc it.

is there any software i can dload to find out what my mobo is?