• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What temps are too high

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

I have my system OC'd t0 3.0 and my temps are running in the low 30's for both cores 30 & 33 is that too high or in normal range with just the cooling in my ssytem. see my signature for my system

Thanks

GotNoRice

Use a program like Coretemp that tells you what your TjMax is. On many chips it is 100C, on others it is 85C.

You want to stay at least 15C away from your TjMax, and that would be under a worst case scenario like running the Intel Burntest.

OP
E

eaglepi

I am using coretemp and like I said my temps are in the low 30'sC are those temps ok?

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
The biggest thing to keep in mind with any Core2 chip, is that your load temps usually need to be no less than 20C lower than TJMax. It sounds like the temps you posted up are idle temps. I would recommend downloading Prime95, and running it in Small FFT's to see where your load temps are.

OP
E

eaglepi

OK guys I realize you guys are hard core over clockers but I an not tring to stress test my system, I have had it OC's to 3.0 for 2 years maybe.. my question is very simple but yet sems hard to get a direct answer for.

My temps are runing in the low 30's C 30 and 33 during normal useage of my pc are those temps at those conditions OK..

Can I guy get a yes or no?.........lol

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Thats b/c idle temps dont really matter at all. What you do on the desktop/internet is nothing compared to say, gaming, encoding, rendering etc on your CPU. So to give you a direct answer to your question, your temps are fine for just cruising the desktop. But if you really want to feel confident about your actual load temperatures (which has not been provided), you should stress test your sytem as redduc says. :)

OP
E

eaglepi

I understand that but if my system will NEVER run at those loads and all I do is cruise around my desktop and Internet then I am only wanting to know if for those things my system temps are ok...

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
I understand that but if my system will NEVER run at those loads and all I do is cruise around my desktop and Internet then I am only wanting to know if for those things my system temps are ok...
I understand...but then why overclock if all you do is internet?

OP
E

eaglepi

because you get a 3.0 for the price of a 2.4 and it helps everywhere....don't have to be a big time gamer to have a benefit with overclocking.... to each their own right??

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
To each their own, absolutely. Im just not sure how an overclock helps the internet considering the slowest part is the site you are connecting to or your connection.

Anyway solid temps. See ya around!

tweakboy

Disabled
He never ended up posting load temps.

Up to 50c idle is ok. Like the gurus said you wanna keep it at least 15c less then the tjmax.

Your temps are in the thirties and that is great. Answer is YES to your question. But just know when u game and what not its going to go to 60c if not more. gl

Bobnova

Hell, if your voltage is at stock you can idle at tjunction and live in throttled-land if you want to. It'll be slow though :p

Idle temps really don't matter, like everybody else said.
Load temps are the important ones.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
He never ended up posting load temps.

Up to 50c idle is ok. Like the gurus said you wanna keep it at least 15c less then the tjmax.

Your temps are in the thirties and that is great. Answer is YES to your question. But just know when u game and what not its going to go to 60c if not more. gl
Those are his "load" temps according to him and it is I suppose for what he does.

Im curious. How do you know that 50C idle is ok? The delta between idle and load temps have several variables in it so Im not sure how that blanket statement could be true all the time. :confused:

DocClock aka MadClocker

In naswering the question, the low 30's is normal, and even under load, I doubt if you will ever see any temps that you need to worry about..under your conditions, I would be suprised to see your Prime load temps rise above 50c..so in your case as you are not stressing anything, you can be confident that most anything you want to do, you can do.

In short, you're safe (for now)