• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What the???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimmyG

OK, I have an Enlight case with seven (count 'em) fans. Two case fans (top rear blowing out, bottom front sucking in), a power supply (400W) with two fans (one blowing out of case, one sucking into PS), the HSF (blowing into HS), video card fan, and chipset fan. The MOBO is ASUS A7V133, the CPU chip is T-bird 1.33 AYHJA running at a pitaful 1 Ghz. The CPU is cooled by a Global Win WBK38 with lapped HS and arctic silver. With the case closed up the MOBO rises to 31 C and the CPU to 42 C at idle. With the case open and a house fan blowing on it the MOBO is 26 C and the CPU 39 C. Ambient is 23 C.

This seems way too HOT.

With the CPU at 1.33 Ghz and the box closed the MOBO is 31 C and the CPU 50C. Fully loaded it is 54C. Everything is stable.

I'm afraid to run at 1.33 for fear of killing this high priced CPU chip ($220).

Any suggestions????

I have an A7V133, a A7V as well as a couple of KT7A-R's. The Asus boards consistantly show about 10C higher temps the the Abit. What is the difference? Abit has a temp sensor that can be bent up so that it is in contact with the bottom of the cpu. Asus puts it's thermistor on the mobo on the inside of the socket, it doesn't have contact with the cpu. This method does not even have 1/2 a chance of being semi-accurate as it is measuring the air temp in the socket as well as getting heat from the mobo. At least the Abits seem to be somewhat close to reality. It would be a good idea to get a thermal probe and add 1 in yourself.

your airflow is way out of wack. You have three fans blowing air out, but only have one blowing air in. That is why your case temps are so high. If you don't want to start cutting holes in your case, you should look into getting either a really really high CFM fan for the front, or a high cfm bay cooler. It would be really helpful to know the CFM of the case fans, especially the two blowing air out at the top and the one at the bottom.

I'm using Sunon 35 CFM fans (one sucking in at the bottom front and one blowing out at the top).

Should I use a larger capacity at the bottom to better balance the air flow?

How would you add a thermal probe to the cpu without destroying the MOBO?

First of all that is a weird setup-3in back 1 in front.

Take 1 from the back and put it blowing in the front with the other, that way you got 2-intake 2-exhaust, then take the fan on the HS and reverse it so it sucks away from the HS-i havent seen harly and reviews that sow a lower temp with the fan blowing at the HS-its always coolers if they suck away from the HS-that should help your temps drop some-please dont kill that chip

OK, I tried various combinations of case fans. Got a new HSF (Taisol CGK742092). Every combination of case fan other than original (bottom front sucking in and top back blowing out) was worse. Some by 10 C. The new HSF has made it run pretty stable at 49 C idling @ 1.33 G. Also, full load only bucks it up a couple of degrees. But, the case is still running 30-31 C. Ambient 22-23 C. I ordered a couple of higher capacity case fans and expect them in a few days. I'll see if that makes any difference.

Thanks for the suggestions.

There are plenty of articles on the front page that go through the in and outs or case cooling. The general rule is IN at the lower front and out at the upper back ( ideal being the top(blow hole). Read through the cooling section and the forum. Also it is a little better to have a little positive case pressure. This helps with natural convection. ( Hot air rising.)
The idea is to get cool air across the mobo and processor and the hot air out of the case.

Trial and error will net you the best setup. Hopefully you can learn from someone else's errors.

Good luck

Back