• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with a slot 1 p2 400?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MDA

Have just found an old slot 1 pentium 2 400mhz cpu 128mb pc100 sdram and was woundering if i could get it to run as a dedicated games server over my LAN. If so could people suggest what operating system would be best and prehaps a few games that would run on it. Iguess unreal 2003 is not an option? :(

Thanks

MDA.

pby5cat

UT 2003 will run in deticated server mode. also for a OS use win98 second edition because it doesn't use alot of system resources.

OP
MDA

MDA

Thanks thats great news for all the people on my lan who get S**T pings cos of our router and gateway machine!

Long live the Fragging!

MDA.

Darkseid

maybe linux....
and yes a server is great idea, i have one p2 400 that need an upgrade, and then it would the upgrade for my p 166mmx file server

TUK101

You should be able to use the P2 400 as a server no problem. I would up the ram to 256 though. It should help it out a bunch. I would also think about using Windows 2000, or XP as a server since it has great networking capabilities. Just make sure that you have lots of ram on the mobo and it should run either one of those OS with no problems and make an excellent server for gaming.

OP
MDA

MDA

Thanks, i was going to say would windows 2000pro be a better option as i dont have acopy of win98se.

MDA.