• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do with toshiba laptop :-(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberey66

This last year in school I needed a laptop, I just needed something to bring to classes and program/message/surf. I got a used toshiba 1805 laptop, and spent about $500 total on it. It's 1.2GHz tualatin celeron, 320MB ram, dvd/20GB, 14.1, and windows XP CD key sticker license thing. Seemed like a good deal, but I didnt know about how toshiba laptops are horribly made. It first would only run like crap because the original 1.1GHz cpu was a desktop cpu not a laptop cpu and would overheat. I put in the 1.2GHz celeron as it runs cooler and more cache. The laptop seemed to work ok, battery life was still about an hour max, but decent. Then the circuit that charges the battery died and now this laptop only works plugged in. It still has some heat issues, but works ok plugged in. Reading around, performance like this is common on a lot of toshiba laptops, and I dont want this one anymore. The only thing I use this for is watching dvds.

Should I try and fix this one and keep it, or should I see how much of my money I can get back selling it. I don't want to sell it on ebay because its a crappy laptop and I dont want the same thing to happen to me and have someone waste their money. I also dont want to waste my money on something I almost never use, and hasnt worked since I got it. I'm debating taking it apart and parting it out as I can get $130-$200 for the screen (based on ebay auctions), and some money for selling the parts as repair. I'm torn on what to do, I want to save up for a working laptop now, but I'm $500 less from where I should be from buying this, and I doubt anyone wants a laptop that only works plugged in.

Anyone have a toshiba like this? Any suggestions?

OP
cyberey66

cyberey66

not a bad idea for an external charger, the official ones are over $100, but I was looking to see if I can make one, but charging lithium ion batteries is alot more complex than charging regular batteries. If I understand I have to make a circuit that shuts off when a certain voltage is hit, I cant just provide constant voltage at a constant low current. The electronics book I just bought doesnt cover lithium ion batteries. There are also external universal batteries, but they are big and dont offer power managment.