• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what type of memory is this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ashenfang

The Jet Man!
I am trying to help a family member upgrade the memory in their dell laptop. They live in a different state so its hard get the information I need. I pulled up the service tag on dell's website and this is what I get for memory configuration.

512MB, 667, 64X64, 8K, 200 x 2 512MB Memory Module

So I know its 2x512, but I'm not sure what I should be ordering here. The laptop runs windows vista. Model number is E1505 Inspiron.

The thing only has 1gb of RAM which is small for vista and she is complaining that it runs slow all the time with lock ups. I figure a memory upgrade is the first step. What memory would I want to look for on newegg?

Look up the model on Dell.com, or better yet, get the service tag for that machine, and you should be able to find out exactly what it takes. It's usually more expensive buying ram from Dell, but if it's within $10 of Newegg, I'd go with Dell ram. Notebooks can be pickier, about what ram they like, and dealing with it long distance is more hassle. If you got it from Dell, you'd know it would work(barring a DOA stick).

Look up the model on Dell.com, or better yet, get the service tag for that machine, and you should be able to find out exactly what it takes.

You might wanna read his post a little closer.

No need for any fancy RAM on those things, they aren't picky. What you need is garden-variety DDR2-667 SODIMMs. DDR2-800 is often cheaper for some reason, and it would work fine as well. Unfortunately it appears to be an older 32-bit model, so you're a bit limited on how far you can upgrade it... while it will accept 2x2GB sticks (despite what the specs say, the max is not 2GB), you'll only see maybe 3.5GB at best.

I just upgraded the memory on one of those a few weeks ago and i got the ram off ebay. For 2 i gig sticks it was only like 40 bucks brand new.Guaranteed compatible with the laptop. It will say right in the listing what models it works with.

Whoops... My reading comprehension's been crap lately :^/

I do stand by my statement of laptops being pickier with ram though. I've had issues in the past using off the shelf ram; much more so than desktops.

I do stand by my statement of laptops being pickier with ram though.

Yeah, some are, although not to the point that the overpriced upgrades sold by the OEM are more desirable than decent brand-name 3rd-party RAM.

Recent Dells generally will work with whatever crap, though. I've put a lot of the dirt-cheap no-name eBay RAM into a lot of Dell laptops as cheap upgrades to get Vista somewhat usable, and aside from an occasional DOA stick, it worked without a hiccup.

I find Dell laptops seem to like Kingston and Crucial RAM the best. I've used a lot of Dell's ranging from a P1 Dell CP to a Dell D630 and have always used Kingston and Crucial without a hiccup.

Back