• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What type of water and additive do you recommend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technician

I've been hearing about distilled water...is that what I should put in my system? Also, I'm thinking about getting some Water Wetter as my additive...will that work to prevent corrosion and the like?

Could you use food coloring to add color to the water? Or would that impede performance?

Water wetter will take care of bacteria and corrosion. If your not mixing metals in your system you can just use water. I have all copper in my systems so I use a few drops of accu clear to keep the water from growing nasties. Distilled water isn't that great since electrolysis will occur after a short period of time and make it conduct just like tap water.

One thing you want to check, is how dirty your regular tap water is. I am in a decent area and drink this water a bit more than I prolly should, but Ive tested my pumps and blocks for leaks and it would leave a nasty white film on the inside of the hoses. I know it wasnt from anything else in there. The only thought left was it came from the water itself. I in turn will only use some type of bottled water for a full time use. The tap water seems to dirty for my tastes.

Bottled water is often worse than tap water since it has time sitting on the shelf for stuff grow. Distilled is so cheep but I wouldn't worry about using it. Tap water has been fine for me. I ran my system for 4 months without touching a thing and I had no problems.

Back