• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What voltage to burn in my 1.8a?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wam

I know that a lot of people have had there p4's go belly up with voltages over 1.7 but I was wondering if it's OK to use these voltages for a few days while burning in.

I've just got a P4 1.8a, Abit IT7MAX2 and Corsair XMS3200 & would like to get them to at least 2.4 (I've always had a 50% O/C going back to my Celeron 300a! :D) Although I'd like to reach 2.7, with 3:4 ratio and aggressive memory timings as my goal.

BTW, what are the latest modded bioses for the IT7?

Last edited:

micamica1217

why burn in????

just try 150fsb from the start.

have fun with that cpu that should hit 160 or better fsb.

mica

OP
Wam

Wam

why burn in????

Because it may give me a better chance of hitting 160 FSB with lower voltages. Believe me, I'm tempted to start overclocking it but I shall apply the 'deferred gratification' rule. :D.

What temps are you getting idle/load?

cursor

I leave my 1.6a on default (a little over 1.5). It's rock solid.

I worry about sudden northwood death syndrome, too. Seems like many people have run into it here.

OP
Wam

Wam

Ideally that's what I would want to do as well. I'd sacrifice a few mhz for the lower voltage.

My [email protected] ran with 1.9V for nearly 2 years but the temps at this speed were about the same at 700 with the stock H/S Fan. It doesn't seem like the woodies can take this kind of voltage as well, even in water cooled systems!

micamica1217

Wam said:

Because it may give me a better chance of hitting 160 FSB with lower voltages. Believe me, I'm tempted to start overclocking it but I shall apply the 'deferred gratification' rule. :D.

What temps are you getting idle/load?

most northwoods don't seem to do better with a burn in.

good luck

mica