• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WHAT WATER COOLING TO BUY?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tomic888

I have haf932 and i think its better and cheaper to take water cooling instead of fans.
i want to overclock my i7 920 to 4.2 ghz and for that i need to buy cooler master v8 that costs 60 eur, so i think its better to take water cooling instead of air cooling.
I heard of thermaltake bigwater and that stuff but which is the best, and not too much expensive?

xrodney

Registered
Thermaltake kits are crap. Mostly all kits are not very good except few custom kits, you are better to put parts together on your own. It will be little more expensive, but much better.

[email protected] get too hot with air cooling, you are looking at ~70c which is ok for GPU, but not too healthy for cpu.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S

I have to agree with this. I have heard that TT has a tendency to mix metals in their kits, which can lead to galvanic corrosion. They also tend to have too small of radiators. Your best bet is to do a lot of reading, and either piece together a loop as you can afford the parts, or save up for good parts. I have been buying parts as I can afford them, and have been doing a lot of research in the mean time, which has helped me tremendously.

hokiealumnus

Water Cooled Moderator
Add not so great pumps to the list deadlysyn.

OP, if you want a kit, Jab-Tech has a quality CPU loop in kit form. It's all swiftech, res, pump, 120.2 rad & (apparently now has) the best block on the market. All you need for a quality CPU loop is in that kit, except you can ditch that green junk and get yourself some PT Nuke PHN and distilled water.

Or you could purchase the components you want individually, tailored just for your system. That's part of the fun of this addiction after all.

If you really want to spend £60, get a quality air cooler like a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or a Prolimatech Megahalems. If you want to get into water cooling, take your time, read and do it right the first time. You'll save yourself money and a huge headache, not to mention potentially save your equipment.

Conumdrum

Yep, watercooling done right is pretty expensive compared to top air cooling. Lots of benefits though.

Most who buy a TT or Koolance etc kit usually regret it due to breakage and poor performance, meaning spending more money in the long run.

The kit mentioned above by hokie is the best deal going righ now, and it oozes quality parts than can be used for years and years.

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
Add not so great pumps to the list deadlysyn.

I will keep that in mind as well. The last time I bought anything TT was for an old Socket A system. It was a stock style cooler, but with an 80mm fan. So far, the parts I have gathered for my loop are a D-Tek Fuzion V1, Swiftech MCW60, Laing D5, and I just scored a great deal on a Swifty MCRES and a HWLabs GTS 360. This loop is just going into a Q6600/9800GT rig, and I will be using 1/2" tubing, with a couple silver coils, made out of one of the strips found on JT.