• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What "WHEEL" do you use/recommend?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mighty ABACUS

Hello all,

i know, most of us needs some recreation once in a while (as if
OCing is not recreational for us, eh? :D )

i am now in the market searching for the best wheel my money
can buy (about $120) and so far, i have narrowed the choices to
the following wheels:

Thrustmaster Ferrari Force Feedback GT
pc_ferrari_ffbgt.gif

and the

Logitech Momo Racing Force Feedback
904.gif

now, i am quite disoriented of which to choose though i am more
inclined to get the Logitech.

i would appreciate any feedback for the owners of these
two wheels.

Thanks in advance.

-the Mighty ABACUS.

i have the thrustmaster force feedback, and the non-force feedback version.

imho the thrustmaster force feedback is badly designed. it rumbles well and feels very good, but its movemement is loud (when you rotate the wheel) and it only uses a single clamp in the middle of the base which is quite frankly crap.

i cant comment on the momo, but i believe the best whell i have used is the non-FF thrustmaster, which uses two clamps to stick it to a desk, and believe me i was bending that desk before i could pull the wheel off it. top quality.

it looks as though that momo wheel also uses the single clamp mechanism. its a very poor design and feels very insecure (to the point that it feels like it is going to break)

I had a microsoft force feedback wheel for some time. It was hard to take play seriously, as the rattling form the FF was distracting. (And it's hard to sneak a game in when the rattlng can be heard from the next room. ;)) If price is at all an issue, I would forgo the force feedback.

Also, I don't know if this is an issue or not, but some wheels work on the PS2 while others don't. Even if you don't have a PS2 now, you may get one someday, or you may end up selling to someone who uses one, and so you might want to keep this type of compatibility in mind. -- Paul

yeah. trust me, that modena pro wheel is better than any ff wheel i have used. its silent, and practically indestructable. i love it and i dont use my thrustmaster ff wheel anymore

Did the FF noise drive you nuts, too? I thought it was fun to run into cars and such in Midtown Madness, but really, the feeling wasn't all that realistic, anyway. The Logitech wheel really does look nice ... -- Paul

oh yes. even when the FF wasnt working, the noise of the whell rotating was bad enough.

of the two though, id say the thrustmaster looks better. it definatly looks chunkier (the pic doesnt really show this)

edit:and the pedals are very good

Yup, that was the noise that got to me ... glad to hear it wasn't just MS or just my wheel. -- Paul

yes, logi made a limited production of those wheels for PS2, htey wer the best wheels evermade for a console. i haven't used the PC version, but i have heard that it is one of the best. logi knows what they are doing. i would go logi.

btw, in case you diden't know, Momo is one of the top manufacturers of raceing steering wheels for real cars. they make the wheels for many formula1 and IRL cars. they would not put their name (and actual steering wheel design) on an inferior product.

Cool! Hmm, if I were in the market for one, that's where'd I go ...

Thanks for the tips! -- Paul

Thanks for the heads-up guys.

sorry for the late reply.
im in a different time zone so while im getting some zzz,
you guys get to have all the fun posting here:p

actually, i have found a site where the Logi is being discussed
intensively. i think this is the site of the R&D peeps who develop the Logi Wheels.

Wingman Team's Web

now, it is very clear to, the Logi Momo racing is the one to go.

they have definitely revised and improved the original Momo
leather and came up with the Momo Racing (rubber).

also, i gathered that the new Momo is using optical pots and
ball bearings. and they have taken all the suggestions and
comments to improve the pedals.

the Act Labs wheel and even the TSW are the bombs but for the
meantime, im going to settle for the new Momo.

Cheers!

:beer:

Add my vote for the Logitech. The Momo is a great, great racing wheel.

But, if you can afford it, don't hesitate to scratch out a check to TSW. The first time I played on one of these it was worth three seconds a lap in F1-2001. No force feedback on the TSW, but the difference in precision compared even to a Momo or ACT Labs RS is night and day.

BHD

BHD

Back