• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would be a goog voltage and FSB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Anaxagoras1986

I havent unlocked my chip yet but i plan on it. Until then, what FSB would my XP1800+ go up to on a XP333-r? What type of voltages should I run for the chip and RAM (PC2100) ? Thanks in advance for any replies.

flowan

That's pretty hard to say..:(

My guess is 145-150mhz fsb.. with twinmos or better maybe 160

Push the fsb up slowly when instability shows you may increase the Vcore/memV

keep an eye on the temprature.

OP
A

Anaxagoras1986

What do you think would be a good HSF to put on it? Right now the stock one is on it and I have heard nothing but complaints about these.
I have made a water block (dual stage spiral) and have rads and everything else I just need a pump and I am all set. But until then I am looking for a better air cooling solution.
I read on the forums on how to jump the L1 bridges with a pencil and or conductive paint. I have also heard that some of the chips can be a pain to do this (with gaps or something b/t the points). Do you have any tips? Will the temp of the CPU rise regardless of weather the Vcore is raised? Thanks for the reply in advance again if you get the time.

Albigger

with the 1800+ xp chip you have there will be pits/gaps between the L1 bridges, some

i unlocked only one before, filled in the gaps with clear nail polish, then used rear window defogger repair kit conductive liquid to bridge the L1's together.

look around net / cpu section for more info and tips before you try this.

try setting you ram fsb to 166 and relax all the timings for the memory in bios (i.e. all memory enhancing stuff off, normal timing, CAS3, etc...) and put divider at 1/5. see if it boots and runs there. you can always try enabling the memory enhancements after that.

increasing vdimm voltage may help

increasing the overclock on the cpu will slightly increase temps. if you increase the vcore however, that will increase temps much more.

OP
A

Anaxagoras1986

I heard that many hard drives start to corrupt data when the FSB gets pushed up. I also heard that WD drives are the worst, most unluckily for me! What do you think I could get? Would it hit 166 you think with me unlocking the chip?

bETAbILLY

Registered
Ha. I've been running a XP333 since April @ 196.8 host clock and 2 WD 400"bb" hard drives without corruption. It's really the chipset that can hold you back since the XP333's auto-divider function keeps you reasonably close to the 33 mhz PCI/IDE bus specification.

bETAbILLY

Registered
Oh, hard drive data corruption is a still photograph of corruption occuring , it's a permanant record of instability when you try to exceed the cpu/memory bus's speed limit.

bETAbILLY

Registered
The clock frequency divided result has nothing to do with the corruption unless you intentionally run cpu /4 divider @ 166 host clock. Chances are the glitches are ocurring along the cpu/memory bus. Thats why I test for the maximum stable speed of the cpu and then memory before combining.

Running memory and cpu out of sync also encourages corrupt data and higher latency.

OP
A

Anaxagoras1986

How would oyou change the mem? If posible i would like to turn my mem up a little, maybe that would helpit along a bit.

Albigger

if you are referring to the vmem then there's a jumper on the board.

find it in the manual.

when looking at the board i think connecting both left jumpers gets you normal (2.5v?), then moving the top jumper or the bottom jumper to the right side gets you more (2.6 and 2.7V i think?) and putting both to the right gets 2.8v i think. the 2.8 setting not documented in the manual i think though

OP
A

Anaxagoras1986

I know how to do the vmem. I thought I heard someone talking about how you can turn the mem clock independantly from the FSB.