• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what would be required

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jballs918

Hello all,

First off I will give you all a bit of back ground about me. I have been building computers for about 18 years on and off and I want to step up my game a bit. With this in mind the loop cooling looks like a fun and challenging project. I have read a lot about how to do it and what parts I need and so on. I have a pretty good understanding about that. But even with that information I still have a question for you all.

So my purpose for the build I'm doing is to be able to OC my CPU and GPU. I have read about relidding and it seems like a fairly easy process to do it you have the right tools. With this in mind I need some help figuring out weather I need need more than just one loop or two.

My system will be built as followed (hopefully this will help out)
CPU: Intel I7 8086K 4 GHZ
GPU: MSI The Duke 1070TI
Mobo: Asus Max Code X
Hard drive: 970 Samsung EVO SSD 500GB
Hard drive: 1 TB Western Digital Blue 7200
RAM: Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Case: Thermaltake - Core X71 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Full Tower Case
Power supply: Corsair - HX Platinum 850 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

I plan on OC clocking the CPU to 5GHZ as this seems to be a very stable speed and voltage for it. The GPU I'm going to have to play with a bit because most of the stuff I have read and seen is using stock cooling.

Hopefully this is enough information to let you guys try to make a good recommendation. Thanks again and I will forward to the responses.

One loop is fine.

For that system at 5 GHz CPU and overclocked GPU, I would recommend a total of 4x120mm worth of radiator to adequetely cover the wattage that system is outputting.

As far as delidding/relidding. That is up to you and typically not worth the risk or loss of warranty for the 100 MHz it may give you.

2 loop never really make sense for me , except in some rear case .minimum requirement is 120 mm rad space for each part and 2 x 120 for each overclocked , it all depend also on fan to be used and what speed / noise ratio .
this PC will be used for gaming mainly ?
i see a 970 evo is there some really very intensive disk task ?

Back