• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would cause this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dave65

I just got 2 sticks of Kingmax 2700 and I put them in replacing the OCZ and after a while I could smell something burning,you know the smell electrical smell,well I shut it down and took the side off and looked around and didnt see anything,so I pulled out the memory and one of the dimms has a pin burned right off,and the slot is kinda melted just enough to were you could tell something got hot.
What would cause this,I just got there yesterday the 26th.
The board still works but only in slot 1 and 3,I wont try 2.
But on boot up it takes forever to boot and I put the OCZ back in.
Did the board cause this or the Dimm..anybody know

RMA the Dimm and if needbe the Board, to test the board run a Memory stress test such as the one found in Sandra2002, using DIMM2 with your OCZ.

It could be simply a lack of ground, depending on where your case is positioned, I've heard of this before.

Good Luck,
M_N

I cant use slot 2,it has melted burs,just enough to were you can't get a dimm in it..

damaged dimm

I'd rma the board then as that sounds bad. Maybe that's also why your Sandra scores seemed a tad lower than they should have been at 157 FSB.

Im thinking the same thing,do you think they will replace my memory dimm?
How do you like your OCZ?

I've done this too. While upgrading some old P233s, one melted down.
I think it must have been the DIMM, since there was a stick working in the same slot prior to cremation.

Either that or idiot installation, not quite all the way in the slot.

OCZ

I likes it just fine. Does max everything at cas 2 and 150 FSB, even 1T command rate. But I can't get my FSB higher than that no matter how conservative the memory settings. Methinks it must be a PCI card problem. I really gotta get around to pulling those cards out to see if I can get higher FSB. Just been too darn busy tweaking and 3dmarking to get around to it.

I think the mobo caused the problem. A contact mostlikely wasn't contacing well enough to build heat and cause the burn up. I see it everyday at work.

Well I thought the board was toast so I took it out,and got a closer look,and the pin from the Dimm was melted to the slot causing a memory malfunction,that is why it wouldnt reboot,but I dug it out and am using slot 1 amd 3 with no problems but I have a new stick coming and I didnt even have th RMA it he just sent out another.and I ordered a new Soltek board,and I will RMA the MSI and go from there:)

Back