• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would the the quietest cooling solution for an i5/7 in a SFF case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Ok this is going to most likely be my new setup come February. I don't even have the slightest idea on what is even the better air cooling HSF's out there.

Quiet is priority #1 as I won't really be OC'ing, so heat should be at a minimum. Something passive would be excellent, but I dunno if I can be so lucky lol. Currently I am running a fanless Scythe Ninja on my c2d e5300, and temps are perfectly fine.

psionic98

Stock hsf is very quiet imo. Usually the fan runs at 900 or less rpm.

Not sure I'd suggest passive, but the 45nm chips do run cooler.. Arctic cooling has some pretty quiet coolers.

muddocktor

Retired
Part of your problem with cooling the new build will be the massive increase in heat from your new i5 or i7 processor compared to your old E5300. The i7 procs have a 130 watt TDP and even the i5-750 is a 95 watt TDP proc and your E5300 is a 65 watt TDP proc, so right off the bat you will have to deal with a lot more heat. And frankly, the case you are looking at looks to me like it doesn't have very good ventilation. So I don't think you will be able to go fanless.

I have no exeperience with it, but this Scythe Big SHURIKEN might work for you.

ehume

Your quietest solution for an i5 750 would likely be a Noctua D14. Both Noctua fans are very quiet, and with these quiet fans the cooler is among the top performers. It is quite heavy, but you can use picture wire to suspend it from the case. Or you can buy Ninja Wire from Scythe to do the same job - it comes with hooks . . .

I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7. It is consistently rated quite good, but the fan is open at the sides and you can hear it. It's not terribly loud, but you do hear it.

You might want to rethink your case, though.

Oh yes: do explore SPCR.

Last edited:
OP
stang8118

stang8118

Thanks for the ideas guys. That Scythe mini Ninja looks pretty sweet. I might read more into that as the time comes closer to placing the order for the goods.

I see quite a few knocks on the case I selected. Any reason why? Just poor air flow? Any recommendations on something else that isn't going to break the bank?

muddocktor

Retired
I haven't seen that case personally, but from the pics on Newegg it looks like it's restricted in airflow. But then I don't mess around much with SFF cases and systems either. The comment about reading at SPCR sounds like a good one and maybe they have tested that case and can give you first hand info on it.

Ancient_1

The Scythe Big Shuriken does look to be a decent choice and could even put a full 120x25 on it, but I would reveres the flow to use the PS fan as an exhaust for it. Other choices I would consider if I could find 1156 mounting hardware would be the Thermalright AXP-140 and the Nexus LOW-7000. With the height of the AXP-140 I would seal it to the Power Supply and use that as a fan.

Here are some pics of a similar case I built to give you some idea on room.

Dons2.jpg

Dons3.jpg

Dons.jpg

OP
stang8118

stang8118

Is the stuff in your sig the same stuff that is in the pics? Only thing that worries me is that the video card I'll be using is probably bigger than the one in your sig which wouldn't be enough room. Is there anyway to mod it so you can use a larger video card?

Also what are your temps with that setup?

Ancient_1

The system in the pics is E8400 with a HD3870. The case you showed they have changed so that the fan no longer limits the video card. Temps are good but it's not quiet either when under load and has a fairly cool cpu with a very loud fan (5.5k if I remember right) but it is in a different room so noise is not a concern.

I just showed the pics to give you an idea on the space which is the same as the one you had listed just slightly revised in layout, mainly moving the fan on the HD cage to the other side to allow longer video cards.

The system in my sig is in a completely different case, the SILVERSTONE FT01-BW,

1.jpg

Last edited:

ehume

The system in the pics is E8400 with a HD3870. The case you showed they have changed so that the fan no longer limits the video card. Temps are good but it's not quiet either when under load and has a fairly cool cpu with a very loud fan (5.5k if I remember right) but it is in a different room so noise is not a concern.

I just showed the pics to give you an idea on the space which is the same as the one you had listed just slightly revised in layout, mainly moving the fan on the HD cage to the other side to allow longer video cards.

The system in my sig is in a completely different case, the SILVERSTONE FT01-BW,

View attachment 79319

Lovely! I see you have suspended your heavy heatsink with a bare copper wire. What did you attach the wire to?

Is the top fan exhaust or intake?

Any issues with the push-pull fans so close to the top fan?

What caused you to choose vertical vs sideways airflow for your cooling?

How is the motor-associated noise of those TR-FDB-2000's? The review I saw said the 1600 and 2000 RPM versions had non-air noise.

Ancient_1

Lovely! I see you have suspended your heavy heatsink with a bare copper wire. What did you attach the wire to?
It is fastened to the fan grill of the top intake fan which I bent to take as much play out of it I could.

Is the top fan exhaust or intake?
It is a intake on the Fortress

Any issues with the push-pull fans so close to the top fan?
No issues I have noticed.

What caused you to choose vertical vs sideways airflow for your cooling?
I wanted it to be fed directly from the intake fan.

How is the motor-associated noise of those TR-FDB-2000's? The review I saw said the 1600 and 2000 RPM versions had non-air noise.
I would say the review was correct, but to me they are fairly quiet since I am used to much louder fans.

Here is a shot of HWMonitor after an hour and a half 8 player skirmish in C&C 3 @1080p high detail settings to show my temps in an ambient of 20°.

HWM.PNG

ehume

Impressive. Reinforces a review I saw where the Silverstone did very very well.

Most of us who have top vent cases could use those fans as intakes. In fact, my favorite 140mm fans work well pointing their output down but make motor noise pointing their airflow up, so this would be a great option.

Ancient_1

Another case the OP might want to consider is the LIAN LI PC-A05NB which is one of my favorite cases. It is fairly compact and will take full size components. The only reason I didn't use it for my i7 build is the lack of space for HD's. I have 7 installed in my Silverstone and the most I had in the Lian Li was 5 and the actual cage only holds 3.

Stock they are fairly quiet and cool fairly well even tho on mine I changed the main intake fan to a Sanyo 1011 (like I said earlier noise isn't a real concern to me to a certain extent).

p3.JPG

P11.JPG