• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What'll I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPFitz14

Thinking about modding my case, maybe asking for a few things for christmas:D. I was checking around, and it seems like there are a few different kinds of dremels, what's the most practical/cheapest one for putting in a window, fan, etc.? Kinda new to the whole modding thing. How much does a dremel cost?
Thanks.

-CPFitz-

DaveSauce

Although everyone calls them dremels, Dremel is a brand of what's called a Rotary Tool. I think Dremel was the first to market them, but I dunno. either way, Dremel is the most popular.

I believe that Craftsman and Black&Decker make similar tools.

As for Dremel brand tools, there are a few options. The cheapest are the cordless, which if you plan do do something like a window in a case, then you want to avoid the cordless. I would honestly never buy a cordless tool except for a drill. After the cordless, there are a few options. There are 3 sets for the variable speed model. The basic set for $50, the flexshaft set for $70, and the right angle set for $100. The basic set comes with the rotary tool, a case, and some bits. The flexshaft set comes with the rotary tool, a flex shaft, a few more bits, and a better case. The right angle set comes with the rotary tool, the flex shaft, the right-angle attachment, yet more bits, and an even nicer case. I think they all come with the router attachment.

I just finished my window with a Dremel....my design had a lot of cutting, and it is a steel case, so I used a LOT of cutting discs. I think I used a total of 9, but for the first 4 or so, I didn't know what I was doing, lol. So I probably would have used 7, or even 6. Anyway, count on using a few of them. You want to use the Fiberglass Reinforced if you are inexperienced with rotary tools. The regular cut-off discs have a nasty habit of shattering if you put too much force on them in the wrong direction....happened to me, heh. scary thing.

Daemonfly

I suggest the Black & Decker RTX over the Dremel. The RTX is more powerful (more torque) and doesn't slow down during cuts like the Dremel (this also wears out the Dremel quicker). When my Dremel died, I went with the RTX and have been quite happy. The RTX uses the same 1/8" size bits, so they're all interchangeable.

I suggest some fiberglass reinforced wheels for cutting with Dremel/RTX. Various Carbide & Diamond dust bits work great for intricate cutouts, as well as needle files.

A jigsaw/scroll saw would also help for the larger window cuts.

Then some ranges of Wet/Dry sandpaper & sanding block if you want a quality paint job.

Don't get any cordless rotary tools. They will die quickly on a case mod & will waste your time.

gahdzila

I suggest the Black & Decker RTX
I havent personally used a "Dremel" brand rotary tool...but I will say that I do like Black and Decker's tools.
Don't get any cordless rotary tools
you want to avoid the cordless.
LOL. wish someone had told me this before I bought my cordless Black & Decker rotary tool. I've also got a Black & Decker 12 volt rechargeable Firestorm kit...the one with the drill, jigsaw, and mouse sander attachments. Don't get me wrong, they're great tools. But it really sucks to get started on a project and realize that both of your batteries are dead and you need to wait three or four hours for them to recharge. Personally, I won't be buying any more cordless tools for general purpose work.
I would honestly never buy a cordless tool except for a drill
I'd also recommend against a cordless drill...because of the battery life problem. I had a sanding disk on my cordless drill, grinding down the edge of a door that wouldn't quite close. The batteries held up for about 30 or 40 minutes of (nearly) continuous use. Not bad, I suppose, but it really sucked to have to wait for the batteries to charge to finish the project.
IMO, buy corded power tools first...then maybe a cordless for those times when you NEED a cordless.
what's the most practical/cheapest one for putting in a window, fan, etc.?
A hole saw is probably the BEST tool for cutting a blowhole for a fan. It's an attachment for a drill that cuts perfect circles...usually made for wood (ie--cutting out a hole in a door for the lock/doorknob), but they work on metal, too. You can get them in different sizes. Cheaper ones are around $10.

OP
C

CPFitz14

hmm...I'll have to check some of these out. Might go with a holesaw just for now, and put the rest on the Christmas list. Thanks for all of the help guys.

-CPFitz-

AmigoThree

Well I don't know anything about dremels but I do know that Maximum PC's "Modding accessory of the year" was the Dremel MultiPro 395t6 kit with flex-shaft.

Don't know if this helped