• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a 800Mhz Hyper threading CPU? I don't understand.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

csu

So the Prescott that's suppose to have 667Mhz FSB is delayed, and now there will be 800Mhz FSB Hyperthreading CPUs?

http://www.overclockers.com/tips00190/

1. I thought Northwood core CPUs (including hyperthreading one) below 3.2Ghz won't run faster than 533FSB?

2. By next April we'll see Canterwood in the market with dual channel 400 DDR support. Does this mean I can go grab myself two sticks of Corsair 3200 and expect to get very good performance because the new Hyperthreading CPUs now support 800Mhz?

Well, the 800Mhz FSB P4's won't be around till May of next year, so it will appear around the same time as Canterwood. So I don't think you really need to worry yourself much for another couple of months.

Hyperthreading in the consumer market will only be of benefit in the future, when commercial software developers begin to integrate hyperthreading functionality into games and applications. When they do, it is possible that you will see up to a 25% increase in performance (possibly more), but hyperthreading can actually have a detrimental effect on non-hyperthreaded applications. This is the reason that HP (or is it Dell, can't remember!) ship all of their Itanium servers with hyperthreading switched off.

I'm wondering how Intel can get a Northwood Hyperthreading I CPU up to 800Mhz, according to older roadmaps...

http://freespace.virgin.net/m.warner/Roadmap20XX.htm

Intel Tejas IA-32 processor is expected to be release in H1 2004. Tejas is the successor to Prescott and is expected to be a fairly major overhaul of the P4 core. Tejas is expected to run on a faster front side bus speed (800Mhz?). Tejas is expected to be able to ramp up to 6Ghz (initial speeds will be lower, of course).

My concern with the 800mhz fsb is how it matches up with the CPU...

The FSB will actually be running at 200MHz, which isn't all that improbable. It'll merely be quad-pumped. Since Prescott has been pushed back, it appears that Intel plans on skipping the FSB667 altogether in favor of jumping directly to FSB800. They will do this with Northwood first before they move on to Prescott. My guess is that with AMD's recent announcement that Clawhammer won't be shipping in volume until late 2003, they aren't as threatened and want to milk the P4 for all it's got before going on to Prescott.

Yes, and I'm sure the great results from the C1 stepping only reinforced their decision to delay 0.09 (Prescott). If they can make 3.4ghz Northwoods they should be able to keep up with AMD for awhile.

BTW: Canterwood is the SMP version. Springdale is the normal version. Latest rumor is both will be dual channel DDRII-400 and use the ICH5 (USB 2.0, Serial RAID ATA-150, LAN, + all the other usual stuff).

- JW

I'm a n00b!

What's C1 stepping? What's SMP version?

C1 is the latest stepping of the P4 Northwood core. A stepping is a small revision of the core with certain traces being optimized to allow higher clockrates and lower temperatures (through less resistance in certain paths). SMP is simultaneous multiprocessing. It's anything beyond a single processor.

Back