• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats a "better" chip?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ayoung

The 1700+ T-bred comes in both 1.5v and 1.6v versions.

I have the 1.6, is there any "better" chip for overclocking in this variance?

Between Tbred A and Tbred B, there is a big difference. For air cooling, Tbred A max out around 1.9-2.0 GHz, whereas Tbred B max out around 2.4-2.5 GHz.

If it is a Tbred B 1700+, I think there should not be much difference in oc frequency between a 1.5V or a 1.6V rated. Even though the 1700+ DLT3C (stands for 1.5V) is much more popular in this forum, and most of us have good oc results on the Tbred B 1.5V 1700+, from 2.2 to 2.5 GHz on air. Since both the 1.5 and 1.6V are made from the same 0.13u silicon process, as all the other Tbred B from 1600+ to 2600+, .... It is just a matter of testing, sorting and labeling to different frequency rating by AMD.

In case one has a Tbred B 1700+ DUT3C (1.6V rated), don't feel bad. It may be good too. Try it and let us know the oc result. Since we don't know much about it.

I think it may be more stable at high Vcore and less sensitive to die temperature compared to the 1.5V version.

Last edited:
it will still o/c pretty darn good, but will be a bit more unstable, and require much more voltage. I heard Amd designed the 1.5 version with the o/c er in mind. the 1.5v dosent like high voltages though. over1.65 or so, it will become UNstable.

Well i had mine stable @ 193x11.5 @ 2.0 volts

But it that too much voltage?

And yes this is a 1.6v version.

I think it will do better at like 180x13 or something.

Ill post you with the results some time soon.

Adam

Do you know what stepping code it has, that 5-letter code such as AIUGA or JIUHB or AIUHB?

The code can tell whether the CPU is a Tbred A or B.

Since you are now getting at 193*11.5 = 2.2+ GHz, 180*13 = 2.34 GHz (??), it should be a Tbred B.

modenaf1 said:
it will still o/c pretty darn good, but will be a bit more unstable, and require much more voltage. I heard Amd designed the 1.5 version with the o/c er in mind. the 1.5v dosent like high voltages though. over1.65 or so, it will become UNstable.

Not necessarily. I have to run mine at 1.9v to get my 2.5, and the only reason the 2.5 mark is crapping out on me is because I do not have adequate cooling and the thing is hitting dull load temps of 60C. The chip tested fine for 1hour and 40min in Toast and Prime, but when the temps started to jump past 55C it wavered. With some good ol' water on this thing I'm sure I will be able to take it a little higher than 2.5Ghz.

Its a T-bred B

Here is the info:

AXDA1700DUT3C

JIUCB 0251SPMW

Currently I have it @ 192x11 and I cant seem to get much higher than that...

I in no way can get 200mhz fsb :cry:

But im right @ a 2800+ in Sandra.. so Im nothing but :santa2: :santa: :clap: :D :eek: HAPPY!!

I wish I could get around 2.3 ghz..... that would be nice..

Hey altec... can you give me some info on that you have all the settings at?

I have my mems settings @ 8-3-3-3-2.5

Whats the difference on a 8rda+ between Cpu setting of Optimal and Agressive?

Adam

I have never used the EPoX board so I couldn't tell you. If you are running XMS3200 you should be able to have your CAS (the last timing you listed) at 2. Almost all high-performance memory today can handle that setting, and you will most definatley get some better memory performance if you set it to 2 instead of 2.5. My timings at the moment are 7-3-3-2 and I am rock solid at 210 FSB, but that is the highest my chipset likes. You may also want to try upping the vcore to see if it is your CPU crapping out on you at a 2.3 speed. Since it is definatley not your XMS 3200 or that EPoX board. What PSU are you running? If it isn't a very good one the 12v rail may be a little rocky, and that may cause your CPU to be unstable at the speeds you are talking about. There are tons of things that could be going wrong. What are all your components, so we can begin to single things out...

I think its my PS... BUT I have a 2nd ps like you running all the hd's and cd-rom and 1 fan.

the cpu fan and a Stock AMD HS/F in on my vid card that I modded are plugged into the mobo.

Ill post a pic of my volts w/ prime 95 running...

Brb...;)

Well here are some pics:

+12 is between 12.5-12.6
- 12 " " 12.3-12.6

Here ya go:

full.gif

wcpuid.gif
usdm.gif

Last edited:
Well based on those pics, the rails do not seem to be all that far off, what are the rest of your specs?

Back