• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Whats a good 6950 cooler upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm not sure if my Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme II plus came with any 'sinks for the VRM's. What I did was cut the stock cooling plate w/a dremel in such a way that it still covered the VRM's but didn't interfere w/the AC Accelero Extreme II plus. I replaced the frag tape as well. I never had problems w/overheating VRM's so I guess it worked.

I'm not sure if my Arctic Cooling Accelero Extreme II plus came with any 'sinks for the VRM's. What I did was cut the stock cooling plate w/a dremel in such a way that it still covered the VRM's but didn't interfere w/the AC Accelero Extreme II plus. I replaced the frag tape as well. I never had problems w/overheating VRM's so I guess it worked.

It didn't? Mine came with heatsinks that fit perfectly over mine.

When I put tape on the large chips flanking the small regulators it's not gonna mess the card up is it?

Large chips?

What, the memory?

No these chips are on the right side of the board between the capacitors and the chips I have to keep cool. I was gonna put tape on their side so that the back of the heatsinks I'm putting down don't make contact with them unprotected. I just want to protect the card from shorting out.

No these chips are on the right side of the board between the capacitors and the chips I have to keep cool. I was gonna put tape on their side so that the back of the heatsinks I'm putting down don't make contact with them unprotected. I just want to protect the card from shorting out.

:shrug:
I don't see chips there?

Sapphire-Toxic-Radeon-HD-6950-2GB-GDDR5-(11188-07-40R)-PCB_30608.jpg

But I don't think the tape is conductive...

Those are chokes. Don't worry if you touch them. The part that's important is under their plastic covers. ;)

Ok new cooler is on the card. I repeat tango is down.

Heatsinks went on nicely, thermal glue was easy to mix and apply. I screwed up and put the wrong stoppers on the mounting platform and had to take them off but that's my screw up for not eyeing the stoppers that adhesive stuff for the CPU mount is really good though. The only concern I have is my GPU core is turned at a 45 degree angle so that it sits diagonally and the thermal paste on the cooler itself was at a 90 degree angle square. I'm hoping when I put the cooler on it spreads to all the edges. If not when I get some money I'll have to buy more.

I am so glad that is over. What's a good benchmark program to test the GPU? I may do a test to test it under full load.

I couldn't put the GPU in the bottom x16 slot cause when I did I couldn't get to the connectors for the LED jumper, USB, or the connectors for each of the intake fan so I had to put it in it's original position. I'm gonna figure out something. Do they sell stuff that allows you to "push up" a expansion card so it sits further from the motherboard surface?

I'm gonna sit down and re-do all the wires inside the case. I'm either gonna make enough room for me to get it into the bottom slot or I'm gonna have to find something to go into the expansion slot so that it sits further away from the motherboard.

Last edited:
Ok new cooler is on the card. I repeat tango is down.

Heatsinks went on nicely, thermal glue was easy to mix and apply. I screwed up and put the wrong stoppers on the mounting platform and had to take them off but that's my screw up for not eyeing the stoppers that adhesive stuff for the CPU mount is really good though. The only concern I have is my GPU core is turned at a 45 degree angle so that it sits diagonally and the thermal paste on the cooler itself was at a 90 degree angle square. I'm hoping when I put the cooler on it spreads to all the edges. If not when I get some money I'll have to buy more.

I am so glad that is over. What's a good benchmark program to test the GPU? I may do a test to test it under full load.

I couldn't put the GPU in the bottom x16 slot cause when I did I couldn't get to the connectors for the LED jumper, USB, or the connectors for each of the intake fan so I had to put it in it's original position. I'm gonna figure out something. Do they sell stuff that allows you to "push up" a expansion card so it sits further from the motherboard surface?

I'm gonna sit down and re-do all the wires inside the case. I'm either gonna make enough room for me to get it into the bottom slot or I'm gonna have to find something to go into the expansion slot so that it sits further away from the motherboard.

:thup:

Heaven is as good a bench as any.. and if you want really hot, use Furmark Be warned that Furmark can cook your VRMs, so i would start easy if i were you :)

There are PCI-E risers... good ones do not come cheap, so if you want to go that route, don't grab some $3.99 of ebay... Good ones (eg 3M -shielded) are much closer to $100,-

There is no reason for furmark these days considering how frequently it tends to throttle GPUs... We, as a forum, need to move past using that IMHO...

There is no reason for furmark these days considering how frequently it tends to throttle GPUs... We, as a forum, need to move past using that IMHO...

That bad huh?

Why are PCI-E Risers so expensive?

Guess I better work some magic and try to get enough clearance somehow.

I'm also confused my motherboard documentation says the board has four x16 slots but only two are listed as x16...

Last edited:
That bad huh?

Why are PCI-E Risers so expensive?

Guess I better work some magic and try to get enough clearance somehow.

I'm also confused my motherboard documentation says the board has four x16 slots but only two are listed as x16...
PHYSICAL 16x slot (size). Versus electrical. ;)

Either today or tomorrow (probably tomorrow) I'm gonna open the case up and try to work my miracle magic and try to find a way to get the GPU in the bottom x16 slot without having to unplug the vital stuff down there and without damaging anything. I may need to take the case and flip it on it's side (so I can see what I'm doing). As long as the HDDs are off that should be ok right?

Either today or tomorrow (probably tomorrow) I'm gonna open the case up and try to work my miracle magic and try to find a way to get the GPU in the bottom x16 slot without having to unplug the vital stuff down there and without damaging anything. I may need to take the case and flip it on it's side (so I can see what I'm doing). As long as the HDDs are off that should be ok right?

and the rig itself is unplugged :thup:

Having been a Fleet Commander in EVE I understand the importance of back up plans and I've been toying with this idea in my head all day today. I'm gonna try to make enough clearance to get the card back into the bottom x16 slot but assuming I can't or I don't see a appreciable different in operating temps.... How would underclocking the card affect temps and if I did it through Catalyst Control Center what else would I need to change beside the core speed? Voltage to right? Or does Catalyst handle all of that?

Ok I was kinda able to put the GPU in the bottom x16 slot however while doing my wrap up check I noticed the wires for the system panel connector was inside the fan well which means had I closed up and turned it on it would have cut the wires. Having seen it I simply put the card in the top x16 slot for now. So I will have to get a PCI-riser next month. Whats the cheapest protected riser I could conceivably get?

*Crosses fingers* Please tell me I can get a suitable one for around $50.... *Crosses fingers*

So for right now I took out the extra hard drive carriages and moved my three HDDs to the bottom three slots this way the top of the front intake fan will have a clear line of fire to the GPU the air stream doesn't quite hit the card but the intake fans will definitely pick it up that plus the side intake fan it's gonna have to do. I also plan on getting a 2nd top exhaust fan for the case I don't know if the 2nd exhaust fan will help but I might as well. Though the riser will have to take priority first.

Also since the system panel connector is the one thing preventing me from being able to comfortably seat the GPU into the bottom x16 slot would it be cheaper and easier to get a slim profile extender for it that way I can plug it in away from the actual board and then get enough clearance? The connector looks like a standard connector that smaller black connectors plug into from the top. One is for the system speaker, reset button, power on button, etc. So I actually need it if those black connectors didn't have to plug in from the top then maybe.... If I could just shave off maybe a few more cm I could do it easily.

Last edited:
Back