• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good chipset cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spur31

Registered
What is the best chipset cooler on the market today?
I am watercooling, but don't really want to split the line for cooling the chipset. How good are the active cooling that motherboards are coming with?

I currently have,
Aquacoil radiator
waterblock (homemade but nice):)
Watertank & magdrive Pump

Just wating for new motherboards to come out.
but want to have all the cooling supplies ready to go.
Thanks for any replies

W

William

get the blorb and lap it. It gives really good results. There really is no reason to water cool a chipset, they don't get that hot yet.

Colin

Arctic Silver Senior
Yeah and a chipset block will add some heat to the water and your CPU. If it will fit on your board, try a 50mm wide Coolermaster Socket A HS. They cost less and cool better than the Blorb. You may have to grind a little of it or turn it a bit. On the KTY series boards it needs to be rotated about 10 degrees clockwise to fit,

OP
S

Spur31

Registered
Colin (Jul 06, 2001 01:42 p.m.):
Yeah and a chipset block will add some heat to the water and your CPU. If it will fit on your board, try a 50mm wide Coolermaster Socket A HS. They cost less and cool better than the Blorb. You may have to grind a little of it or turn it a bit. On the KTY series boards it needs to be rotated about 10 degrees clockwise to fit,

That's why I didn't want to use a chipset waterblock
every Degree counts when you live in the Deep south.
Thanks you guys for the help.

Neptune

This is what i'm using:

I've used AS Epoxy to attach it to the northbridge. Yeah, it's overkill...but so what?

Froggy1

Registered
Neptune (Jul 06, 2001 02:37 p.m.):
This is what i'm using:

I've used AS Epoxy to attach it to the northbridge. Yeah, it's overkill...but so what?

Would that be a good vid card cooler as well?

outhouse

I'm a big fan of making your own northbridge HSF i cut this one down from a old AMD CPU and it works great but i'm really pushing my chip at 167FSB, i would stay away from the borb as there really weak they do perform better though if you do the copper plate on the bottom trick. I think any CPU HSF that you can get in there will keep your chip happy.

Fjeld

Registered
Well, I don´t think you should bother too much about that ting. Definately regarding water-cooling! Use all your water at the CPU! Personally, I mounted a (slightly) modified AMD-HS from CoolerMaster, and put the original ABIT fan on top of it. (take a look at the pic!) No prob´s, so far!
Planning to remove the waterblock from the vid-card, and substitute it with double-sided (low-noise) fans!

AMD [email protected]

Colin

Arctic Silver Senior
Fjeld - Nice to hear another voice of reason. Great looking rig too.

Since everyone is posting pics, here is a tired old one of the Coolermaster on my boards Northbridge.

[img="[URL]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1551335&a=11768501&p=48642929[/URL]"]