• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what's a good hdd these days?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

terran2k

I want to replace my 74gig raptor, I don't need to put another raptor, whats a good hdd to replace it with, looking in the >300GB drive, 7200 rpm is fine.

BossBorot

Basically there are two good options if you don't have the cash for a vraptor or SSD

Samsung F3 500gb or 1TB
Western Digital 640gb black or 1TB black

The Samsung F3 line beats the WD blacks by a decent margin for sustained transfers (around 20%) and the WD are slightly faster in seeks (around 8%). The Samsung F3 drives are cheaper, run cooler, draw less power, and are quieter. On the other hand the WD blacks have a longer warranty with 5 years vs. 3 on the Samsung F3.

Joeteck

Retired
+1 on the 640gig & 1TB blacks! I have both, and they rock....

Create a 200 gig boot for either and have a very fast system forever!

Deadbot2_1973

Registered
I vote for the Samsung. From prior experience, by the time the warranty runs out on the drive, you will probably be looking at new tech anywho. If WD is anything like Seagate, by the time you get the required packaging to ship it in, send it to them and get it back, you may as well go get a new drive.

edit: for all intents, a warranty is nothing more than a feel good marketing ploy. Most companies that offer warranties make them hard, if not impossible, to fulfill. 5 years may sound awesome, but make sure to read the fine print....

Pick your price point...Samsung drives at the Egg.

Last edited:

madhatter256

Special Member
RMAing bad hard drives are a piece of cake when it comes to ALL HDD companies because I have RMAed many drives to each of them. Overall, the longer the warranty usually means you can rely on it more. Moreso than you can with OEM drives from Dell or HP, which are under their warranty, not the manufacturer of the said drive and tend not to follow QC specs the rest of the drives you buy from newegg do.

Back on topic, I would recommend the WD 640. I have the BLUE version and it works great. My games load noticeably faster when I upgraded from a 160gig HDD. Can't go wrong with a 1TB HDD though.

BossBorot

+1 on the 640gig & 1TB blacks! I have both, and they rock....

Create a 200 gig boot for either and have a very fast system forever!

If you are recommending short stroking then the Samsungs are actually better for this. When your short stroke a Samsung F3 they are still better in sustained transfer and also pull ahead in seeks due to the difference in platter density between the drives.

You linked all of Samsungs desktop drives there is no reason to buy the F1 anymore and the F2 would be slow for an OS drive.

Samsung's naming convention is as follows:
F1: 7200 rpm 334gb platters
F2: 5400 rpm 500gb platters
F3: 7200 rpm 500gb platters

ArcticPenguin

I've had good dealings with Samsung F1 1TB's and basically most of the new Western Digital Black & Green Series.
I'd say go with the 640GB WD Black; the 640GB Black is by far the best choice for the main OS drive and any one of the 1TB Black or Green drives or 2TB Green's should be fine for your side storage if you so desire to grab another.

I had a ton of 1TB Green & Black drives all were flawless, however I swapped them all for 2TB Greens & so far so good, i put them all under stress test and Diagnostics so if they didnt kaput on there, I'd assume they should be good to use.

I have dealt with WD only a couple times & they all went smooth, its completely automated and seamless when getting an RMA, i replaced a 500GB notebook drive a month or two ago and got it within 2 Days and no hassle or issue.