• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good Northbridge cooler for the IC7-Max 3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike89

My Northbridge fan is going out on my IC7-Max 3. It's starting to make a lot of noise. I can tap on the heatsink and the noise will stop for a few seconds and then start up again. I think a bearing is going out.

So what's a good choice for a replacement Northbridge heatsink/fan?

I wouldn't mind going back to what is there now but have no idea where to get it, if I even can.

This heatsink uses two wire clips that hook around two little loops on the motherboard, not with pushpins that I'm used to seeing.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

veryhumid

i just got a thermalright nb-1c for my max 3 but haven't put it on yet. If you have the cash go for that, otherwise the NB-1 is another excellent choice. do some searches for NB cooling or NB coolers, and online for "northbridge cooler reviews" stuff like that. there are lots of articles, and anything will work that has a mounting system that works with 4 hooks.

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
veryhumid said:
i just got a thermalright nb-1c for my max 3 but haven't put it on yet. If you have the cash go for that, otherwise the NB-1 is another excellent choice. do some searches for NB cooling or NB coolers, and online for "northbridge cooler reviews" stuff like that. there are lots of articles, and anything will work that has a mounting system that works with 4 hooks.

I use the NB-1 look to left SP-94 with NB-1 mounted. It works nicely on a MAX 3

OP
M

Mike89

Hmm. I'm looking at your pic and it looks like my setup. I'm using the SLK 947U with 90mm fan. Mine looks like your pic in that the cpu heatsink/fan is actually overlapping the IC7 Max 3 northbridge stock cooler a tiny bit.

Is that ThermalRight heatsink/fan about the same height as the stock northbridge cooler? I ask this because I look at mine and don't see much room for it to fit.

I was looking at the Swifttech northbridge heatsink/fan and no way would it fit, way too high (it would hit the SLK 947U and the 90mm fan).

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
Veryhumid, yep that's a tornado :D

Mike89 said:
Hmm. I'm looking at your pic and it looks like my setup. I'm using the SLK 947U with 90mm fan. Mine looks like your pic in that the cpu heatsink/fan is actually overlapping the IC7 Max 3 northbridge stock cooler a tiny bit.

Is that ThermalRight heatsink/fan about the same height as the stock northbridge cooler? I ask this because I look at mine and don't see much room for it to fit.

I was looking at the Swifttech northbridge heatsink/fan and no way would it fit, way too high (it would hit the SLK 947U and the 90mm fan).

They don't actually overlap there is maybe .063 clearance between the edge of the SP-94 and the NB-1. the rear fan clip does just barely touch the SP-94. however the 40mm fan clears it totally. I think I could possibly have mounted a swifttech MCX159P cooler since the fan is the widest part of the HS.

veryhumid

that's good news, i'm glad i can put mine on tomorrow without modification. it's nice because of the way the fins line up. the crazy amount of air goes through cpu cooler and gets forced right through the fins on the nb, too :D