• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats a great quiet heatsink, fan, and PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hamspiced

Im currently trying to make my comp bareable while i sleep and i thought by doing tha till replace some basic things... i have two 80mm fans that came with my xdreamers case that i will replace with tempature controlled fans... but i need to know what are some good 350-400w psu's that are quiet...

also, whats a good HS and Fan for a AMD xp 2500+ thats quiet?

links would be great... i appreciate it all in advance guys.

Seasonic makes very quiet PSU's. I find my Fortron 400w Bluestorm to be very quiet as well. You could also look at the passive offerings from Antec or Thermaltake. Not recommended for power hungry systems though.

SI-97 + a quiet fan should be good. Arctic Cooling 2L is also very quiet. Zalman if your board has mounting holes

If your board has mounting holes, its a zalman for sure. Zalman AlCu goes for around $30 i think, and its a great heatsink...

I'm agreeing with Know Nuttin on this one.

Seasonic PSU's would be best if you can get them.

As for the heatsink, I'd stick between the Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu and the Arctic Cooling 2L.

My personal preference is the Zalman. Heavier than the Arctic Cooling solutions but has far better performance for the noise level.

Check out www.silentpcreview.com for more details.

before i go into all this junk below, your best bet would be plugging in a fan controller, turning everything down and seeing if you're satisfied with the noise and temperatures you get. if you're not satisfied..

the 500/600 watt seasonics are noticeably louder (mikec hasn't tested them, but forum users have noted motor noises from the 500/600 models) than the sub-500 watt models due to the ball-bearing fan, though still quieter than most any other fanned psu you could buy from antec, fortron, enermax, etc.

if you want a very quiet system without a huge amount of effort expended (though a fair bit of cash),

- get a thermalright si-97 cpu heatsink with a nexus or evercool 92mm fan
- get a seasonic psu of the s12 variety, the 380w would be an upgrade-safe model
- get a smart drive hdd enclosure
- get some evercool case fans
- get an aerocool vm-101 passive vga cooler to replace the whiny video card fan
- get a voltage-based fan controller

plug it all in and turn down the fans until you're satisfied. there are many things you could do for a system closer to silence, but diminishing returns will hit you and i'm not sure how much work you're wanting to put into this.

my rig is barely oc'd 2.0ghz

im not satisfied currently with my temps. i am running a thermaltake silentboost fan and heatsink as it is, and its caked with dirt.

I dont knwo what mounting holes your talking about, but i have a DFI Lanparty NF2 board. ill check in the morning for mount holes.

i have my hdd and cdrom drives seperated by neoprene washers from the case...

thanks a ton guys, biggest response from near any thread ive made. Cooling section rules.

somegeek said:
Thermalright XP-120 w/ 120mm low speed Panaflo.

i find this to be one of the most annoying things on the forum, people blindly reccomending XP-120's/90's/90C's despite the fact that many people here still use SOCKETA!!! :bang head

I've got BeQuiet PSU and can safely recommend it along with Seasonic and some Fortrons.
HSF:
for lower OC, AC Copper Silent 2 coolers would be pretty good. For more OC, SI-97, perhaps with low speed Delta 3-blade (I don't know 92mm fans too well).

And that Zalman case:
I've written about it earlier - it's overpriced POS. All components not connected to pipes will overheat (die die mosfets, ram and other). It won't handle modern graphics cards either. For fraction of its price you can get great water cooling set, which won't be more noisy or will even be quieter (WC allows extreme HDD silencing).

subtotal said:
i find this to be one of the most annoying things on the forum, people blindly reccomending XP-120's/90's/90C's despite the fact that many people here still use SOCKETA!!! :bang head

I'd suggest a Thermalright XP-120 w/ 120mm low speed Panaflo.

PSU? Try the Fortron/Sparkle 300W, the one with the 120mm at the bottom. With all fans and hard drives disconnected, I can barely hear it and only if I put my head a foot away. For all practical purposes it's completely silent.

And if you're worried about 300W not being enough, it's easily powering my Barton at 2.5ghz as well as a Radeon 9800pro. If you're absolutely paranoid, get the 350W version.

Damian said:
PSU? Try the Fortron/Sparkle 300W, the one with the 120mm at the bottom. With all fans and hard drives disconnected, I can barely hear it and only if I put my head a foot away. For all practical purposes it's completely silent.

And if you're worried about 300W not being enough, it's easily powering my Barton at 2.5ghz as well as a Radeon 9800pro. If you're absolutely paranoid, get the 350W version.

Yep. Should do fine. My little 330W Antec TruePower handles my rig ok. Just check my Sig. :p

My Antec 480 True Blue is also does a good job and the fans speed up based on the temp they are cooling...
So basicly any Good brand PSU with thermal control is a good route to take.
good rule of thumb, PSU's with 2 low RPM fans are gernally what you want

Back