• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats a great quiet heatsink, fan, and PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ven0m

I just clean my comp often.
Anyway, if you decided for Sonic Tower, keep in mind that it's heavy and adds lots of torque to CPU and socket, so some additional supports might be needed.

stratcatprowlin

I'm sure all the suggestions so far are good ones but I have one to add.The Alpha Pal:D.
Socket A goodness.
Picture003_edited.jpg

mjw21a

Ven0m said:
There are also TT Typhoon and Sonic Tower, which are very likely to be better than SI-97, but they're more expensive.

In the case of the Big Typhoon it already includes a fan which is what all the reviews are based on. Factor this in, and the fact that the SI-97 has no fan, and their pricing is rather similar.

theMonster

Disabled
jeebus you act like the s-7 will rape your pocketbook, mine that I got 2 weeks ago was $39 WITH a 92mm 48cfm Panasonic Panaflo fan. The heatsink was $31 and the fan was $8.Oh, and that tower thing, you have to remve the motherboard and install a backingplate for it, then I still wouldn't even trust it not to distress the socket and motherboard because it is HEAVY.

mjw21a

I am very cost conscious. Now, you take a look at what these things cost in Australia here: http://www.coolpc.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=127_1_130&products_id=733 and figure out why Thermalright isn't my favorite brand here in Australia.

What's that, it's $72 Australian plus $12 for the fan, making for and $84 HSF solution. No thanks mate.

I'd prefer to spend $20 less and get the TT BigTyphoon. And with the bracket I'm not too worried about weight. I'll probably end up replacing my current Zalman with the TT solution to see if I can get a better stable overclock..... Sell my Zalman to a mate.

Element-Xero

I'm busy at work and haven't read beyond the 1st page so sorry if this was already suggested, but I find that Antec makes a GREAT 400w PSU for the price. My voltages, nomatter what, have NEVER EVER dropped below 5.0/12.0/3.3, it provides more than enough for the system in my sig.

Thing is, it has a kinda noisy 120mm fan and a kinda noisy 80mm fan. What I did was just get in there and replace both of them with Stealth fans (bad cfm but the psu doesn't get that hot either so noise was a bigger issue for me). Great voltages, almost silent. Less than 90 bucks. Gets the /thumbsup from me for sure.

OP
Hamspiced

Hamspiced

ok..... SI-97 heatsink, Panaflo or zalman fan, and a Seasonic PSu...

What Seasonic PSU shoudl i get"? specific model? i want this case damn near silent... are there passive PSU's?

mjw21a

If you're set on the SI-97, then I'd recommend a Panaflow fan. The Zalman fans don't have very good airflow for the noise level. Pretty much any fan on the recommended list here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html is good for silent cooling.

You'll notice that the fan which comes with the TT Big Typhoon is on this list also. It's the Yate Loon fan.

OP
Hamspiced

Hamspiced

alright. im ordering this all now... but im having a hard time finding SI-97 on newegg....

1cem4n

I think the zalman would work fine as it will fit pretty much any cpu and a seasonic psu would make a great powersupply.

-1cem4n

mjw21a

I'd go with a Seasonic PSU, but never passive as passive PSU's have eat issues.

If you're going with a Thermalright SI-97 then I'd recommend a Panaflow fan. Pretty much anything on SPCR's recommended fan list which you can find here is fine to get.

Just keep in mind though that the fan used in the TT BigTyphoon is a Yate Loon fan and is recommended by SPCR, although it's at the bottom of their recommended list. :shrug: