• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's better for a fan grill/filter?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kent_b29

TwistedAnimator

Registered
I have the aluminum filter over a 120mm fan in the side of my case. I doubted it's ability to capture dust at first, but every 2 weeks or so, I have to vacuum all the accumulated dust off. It appears that some small dust particles still get through, but as more dust goes through, more get stuck and in turn captures more dust. I'd say that the plastic filter works better, but the aluminum filter looks much better.

Also, 2cooltek has the aluminum filter cheaper than heatsink factory.

big_bertha

it does kill airflow though.... and makes the fan noise much higher. i have 120, 92, and 80mm metal mesh filters and they seems to work well, but the noise from the fan having to suck harder is just insane. it whines almost like a delta :)

just so you know. buy one before you blow alot of money for your case and then rip them off like i did.

currently im experimenting with furnace grade filters from home depot. i will let you guys know how that turns out.

Tipycol

ookabooka said:
if you have as many fans as I do, the dust never has a chance to settle in the case :)

Really? Just how many do you have? And what are their ratings?